Driving thru Switzerland

• stevemcdonald
    Participant
    42 posts
    22 March 2012 at 0:11:35 #805121

We will be driving Chamonix-Zermatt-Grindelwald-Lucerne-Innsbruck over 8 days in late June early July 2012, and would like to take a few rail/lift excursions: Gornergrat in Zermatt, Jungfraujoch in Grindelwald, perhaps Schilthorn as well, maybe Titlis in Lucerne, or a lake cruise. Is it cost effective to purchase any of the Swiss Passes, as they appear to give only up to 50% discount on excursions like these? Second question – do I need advance purchase for any of these excursions, or will I be able to buy them on the spot? Thanks for any help you can give…..

Steve in California

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    22 March 2012 at 4:23:32 #835581

Hello Steve,

Buying a Rail Pass will certainly be economical. I think you should look at the Half Fare Card. This is a relatively cheap Rail Pass with a validity of one month, that will give you a 50% discount allmost anywhere. Through the link you will find a PDF-overview of the network on which the Swiss Half Fare Card is valid

You don’t need to purchase tickets for any of these excursions in advance.

Enjoy your ride, you will love it!

stevemcdonald
    Participant
    42 posts
    24 March 2012 at 18:19:19 #835582

Thanks very much – that looks like a great deal. Will that card get us discounts on the Jungfraujoch Railway, and the Gornergrat in Zermatt?

Arno
    15483 posts
    25 March 2012 at 4:15:59 #835583

Hi Steve,

You will indeed get 50% discounts on both the Jungfraujoch and the Gornergrat. Please follow Wandermann’s link and download the network map from there to see what’s covered.

stevemcdonald
    Participant
    42 posts
    25 March 2012 at 22:56:12 #835584

OK – you guys are great!

stevemcdonald
    Participant
    42 posts
    16 April 2012 at 22:42:24 #835585

Just thought of another question, since we are primarily driving on our vacation in Switzerland. 2 days in Zermatt – I assume we need to park the care in Tasch. How is that handled – do I need a reservation to park? Will there be enough parking? Any idea how much that will cost?

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    17 April 2012 at 3:13:51 #835586

Hello Steve,

Yes, you will have to park your car in Täsch and take a train to Zermatt, as Zermatt is car free. You don’t have to make reservations and there will be room enough to park your car.
    Information about prices can be found here.

Wishing you a nice trip,

stevemcdonald
    Participant
    42 posts
    17 April 2012 at 23:24:27 #835587

Thanks Olga – in view of the link you provided me with, I probably should have been able to figure this out by myself! But it’s good to get the personal side of things. Thanks for all you and your friends do there at MySwissAlps! Looking forward to our trip in June

Steve

• The thread ‘Driving thru Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.