Easy walks and hikes in Wengen

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    4 April 2015 at 0:26:52 #842211

Thank you Arno, Slowpoke andjpatyl2003; I am glad you find the document informative.

I do indeed live in San Jose, at least most of the year. Summers in the Sierra Nevada.

This September will mark our 19th visit (in 21 years) to the Jungfrau region for stays of anywhere from two weeks to three months. So we do sort of feel like locals for sure.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 April 2015 at 1:25:09 #842212

<<“Hi Slowpoke,Kim sent me a revision of her 50 pages+ document dated Dec 2014 on my request. I am highly impressed.”>>

I’ll ask for it. The earlier one impressed me immensely.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2015 at 1:52:22 #842213

Hi Kim,

We will have our 1st visit to the Jungfrau region for 3 days (Aug 31-Sep 2). Perhaps we will meet in one of the easy hiking trails.

By the way, should we use roaming on our cell or purchase a Swiss sim card? Will the cell phone work in the mountains? We’ll be at Swiss for 10 days.

Thank you

JP

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 April 2015 at 2:04:43 #842214

<<“Will the cell phone work in the mountains? “>>

There are almost no regions in Switzerland where they do not work. Certainly not a problem in the Jungfrau region.

This is a bit obsolete, but the point is that coverage is excellent.

cellularabroad.com/swisscellService.html

I have a Swissscom SIM, perhaps the most expensive, and have had coverage even in remote areas for years.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 April 2015 at 22:33:49 #842215

<<“Thanks for the great suggestions. We don’t have hiking boots–only
    regular running sneakers, although we do have trekking poles. Will these
    be sufficient for the easy trails such as these?”>>

Jen and Andy (and Kim) –

There is a fine picture in the Trip Reports section of the Forum which shows why I agree that you do not need boots, but you’ll be better off with them.

I’m not sure I can make the link work, so I’ll say that it is the post by vickicork called “A piece of heaven in Wengen,” from August 2014. Maybe this link will get you there.

myswissalps.com/forum/cf76z6DW9mqS6v8AAFcRTQ

Look at picture #390 in the first post of the thread.

Not sure when they took the trip….maybe the picture was taken before August…. Conditions are wetter in the Spring than later in the year.

That picture looks to me like it was taken on the Männlichen -Kleine Scheidegg trail…or, one very much like it.

That is pretty much the worst, but there might be a bit more loose gravel in some places.

You decide.

Annika
    7116 posts
    5 April 2015 at 7:18:15 #842216

Hi Slowpoke,

If you select your link and then click the icon with the “globe and chain” just above your post, you can create a clickable link. I will do so for you in your previous post. We’ll try to automate this in a future version of the website.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 April 2015 at 8:22:20 #842217

[quote]Annika said:

Hi Slowpoke,

I will do so for you in your previous post.

[/quote]

Merci vielmals.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 April 2015 at 9:11:18 #842218

[quote]Annika said:

Hi Slowpoke,

If you select your link and then click the icon with the “globe and chain” just above your post, you can create a clickable link. I will do so for you in your previous post. We’ll try to automate this in a future version of the website.

[/quote]

Annika-

Thanks.

I just tried that in a post to Hoppies (about Wengen) in this forum, and the links did not become active when I posted the message. Is it me doing something wrong, or does the procedure sometimes not work correctly?

It has worked for me several times….so I’m puzzled.

Arno
    15482 posts
    11 April 2015 at 11:16:40 #842219

Hi Slowpoke,

I looked into this but I am not sure what could cause this problem. The attached video shows how it works, so you can check if you do it differently. I am working on an upgrade of the website (hopefully finished before the Summer). Once that’s live, most links in posts will automatically be converted to a clickable link, so that will solve it too. It probably won’t work for all links, but 90% or so.

Which browser do you use? I find Google Chrome to work the best on all kinds of websites.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 April 2015 at 13:37:43 #842220

<<“Which browser do you use? I find Google Chrome to work the best on all kinds of websites.”>>

A rno-

Thanks. I’ll check the video.

I use Firefox.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 April 2015 at 15:56:05 #842221

Kim=

I just read your report on Wengen, cover to cover, on the plane to ABQ.

It is really well done, and the hiking information is extremely thoughtfully presented.

I noted your comments about the Hotel Schoenegg. Friends with a chalet in Wengen have pointed us there as well. We are looking forward to our stay.

One very minor correction (page 9).

Mainly to avoid confusion, and in the context of that section, which may cover more than the Berner Oberland, the comment about buses could be expanded. While it is true that the buses are often run by the Post, there are other companies, too.

For example, in some regions the BLS (the rail line) runs buses, and, at various other regions (such as the Emmental) private companies run some of the bus lines. So, if you are looking for the well known yellow buses, you might miss the bus. 😉

Thanks again for the super report.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    25 April 2015 at 18:56:55 #842222

Hi Slowpoke,

Thank you for the kind words! I am happy that you found the document helpful. And thank you for the info about the busses. Since the doc is written for a BO base I had just included the Post Busses. But many travel outside the area as well, of course, so I added your good information to the document. I have sent out an updated version (this plus a number of other changes/additions) to Arno and asked him to post it up.

Arno
    15482 posts
    26 April 2015 at 7:41:42 #842223

Thanks for sending the latest version Kim! It’s now available here.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    26 April 2015 at 15:43:26 #842224

Thank you Arno! We are headed back to the region again in September and looking forward to discovering even more new and wonderful things.

Viewing 14 posts - 21 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • The thread ‘Easy walks and hikes in Wengen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.