Eating on the Glacier Express

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2016 at 16:25:25 #809064

Hello Arno and Annika.

I have now made our reservations for the Glacier Express from St. Moritz to Brig (where we will take a train onto Thun for the second part of our holiday.) I did not book a meal as I thought it would be rather expensive if it turned out that we didn’t like what was on offer as the set meal. Is it true that we can still purchase drinks and snacks from a trolley coming along the train? It is a long trip so we would need to take a packed lunch if there is no trolley service.

Maggie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    1 May 2016 at 18:20:27 #851449

Hi Maggie,

We have been on the Glacier Express three times and never booked meals beforehand. Having a meal while traveling the beautiful country is what counts for us, not the question of quality versus costs.

Once we ordered lunch during the train ride and we enjoyed it very much! I forgot about the price of the meals, which may be a good sign.

I’m pretty sure you can order meals during the train ride and there certainly will be trolleys for drinks and snacks.

When heading for Thun I guess you will take the train to Goppenstein and Kandersteg ?

Enjoy your preparations!

Wandermann

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    1 May 2016 at 19:33:54 #851450

Sorry, I couldn’t edit my former post.

I found this link http://www.glacierexpress.ch/ EN/Travel_information/ Food_beverages/Pages/d efault.aspx

“A reservation is always necessary.” It’s clear you have to make reservations for any trip with the Glacier Express, but I’m not sure if they mean reservations for meals are necessary as well.

Nevertheless, I think the link may help.

Wandermann

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2016 at 19:45:21 #851451

Hi Wandermann,

Thanks for your reply. I wasn’t worried about cost as it would be a treat, only that the set menu might be something we don’t like! if it is possible to order on the train when we see what is on the menu, then we might do that. We can just wait and see!

We will arrive in Brig at 16.40 and the first connection to Thun at 16.49 is the quick route arriving in Thun at 17.34. If we miss that one, the next is also the quick route at 17.20, arriving at 18.03. We would have to wait till 17.36 for the first Lotschberger train, arriving at 18.58 in Thun. So as we will have plenty of opportunities later in our stay to enjoy the pretty route, I think we will try to catch the 16.49 or failing that the 17.20.

Planning is going well, thank you. More ideas than time allows as usual – that’s why we keep going back!

Best wishes,

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2016 at 19:58:26 #851452

Hi again, Wandermann

Thank you for the link – I agree it is not exactly clear. The main thing is that our seats are reserved – did this early because travelling in July. We can enquire at the railway station in St. Moritz about whether reserving meal is also compulsory.

Maggie

• The thread ‘Eating on the Glacier Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.