Eiger Trail in summer

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 June 2011 at 12:46:30 #804442

Hello

I’d like to do part of the Eiger Trail this summer, maybe just walk for apprx. 20 minutes from Kleine Scheidegg and back, then take the train to the Jungfrau. I’d like to know the level of difficulty along the trail and if we need hiking boots or would running shoes suffice. (We will be in Europe for a month and would prefer not to pack hiking boots for just 2 days of our trip) Also how often does the train come and how would I make a reservation? I have a swiss pass already.

thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    25 June 2011 at 16:17:53 #833337

Hello victoria,

The Eiger Trail is rated medium as for technique and required physical fitness. The trail between Eigergletscher station and Alpiglen station is 6 km. long and can be done in about 1h 50. If you only want to walk a small part of the trail, I guess it can be done on running shoes if wheather conditions are good. However, I wouldn’t recommend it (better safe than sorry): you are quite high up in the mountains there and will follow a rocky path. By the way: a (Google) search for “Eiger Trail” will give you lots of information.

If hiking boots are not an option, you might consider walking part of the hike Kleine Scheidegg to Männlichen.

Trains run rather frequently between Grindelwald and Kleine Scheidegg. The timetable will show you all the details. There’s no need to make reservations.

Enjoy your month in Europe and especially the Jungfrau region!

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    28 June 2011 at 18:34:49 #833338

If you only want to walk 20 minutes from Kleine Scheidegg and don’t want to carry boots I recommend you walk down from KS to Wengernalp then take the train back up to KS. It’s a lovely view on a mostly paved path. Great panorama of the glaciers.

Or do as Wandermann suggests. The views will be to your back on the way up, but to your front on the way down.

The Eiger Trail itself is either a longer walk from KS or a train ride up to Eigergletscher station to get out on it. Quite rocky and with only 20 minutes to walk (and a 10 minute or so train ride) you won’t see much. You go through Eigerglestcher station on your way up the Jungfraujoch anyway.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 June 2011 at 12:33:50 #833339

Hi … I did this trail last year. I am 66, and it took me 3 hours to reach Alpglen station. I walk slow. Everyone was passing me including children in flip flops. Frankly, I like the feel of a good pair of hiking boots as I negotiate uneven surfaces and rocky trails. It would be a good investment for you if you want to hike/walk in Switzerland especially on serious trails. I don’t know why you couldn’t make it out 20 minutes and back without them however, if you watch your step. Think it sort of depends on your age and agility. I don’t take chances. It is a glorious walk with a great view. Have fun.

• The thread ‘Eiger Trail in summer’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.