Eiger trail when coming from lauterbrunnen

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 September 2013 at 14:28:35 #806177

I want to do the eiger trail, hopefully from the hard side, and without spending too much money. My guess is that doing that from Lauterbrunnen is impossible, but I want to try anyway.
    My plan is to take the train and cables to kleine sheidegg, hike up to eigelgletscher, and then do the eiger trail, from the easy side.
    I was wondering:
    How do I get back to Lauterbrunnen rom alpiglen?
    How long would this take and how much effort (I like a challenge)? What if I add a hike from Mannlichen as well?
    Thank you in advance. I love this forum.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    605 posts
    26 September 2013 at 19:26:06 #839251

Easy to do from a Lauterbrunnen base. But if you want to go up the “hard side”, you will take the train from Lauterbrunnen to Alpiglen. There are two routes:

1. Lauterbrunnen to Kleine Scheidegg (via Wengen), then change to the train down to Alpiglen. This takes 1 hour 9 minutes.
    2. Lauterbrunnen to Grindelwald, then train up to Alpiglen. This takes 1 hour 4 mins. This routing MAY be less expensive. The SBB ticket shop website is down right now so I can’t check

Once in Alpiglen hike up to Eigerglestcher Station. It is about 5 miles and 2400 feet of vertical ascent, more than half of which comes early in the hike. Only you can say how long this will take you. If you are an experienced mountain hiker accustomed to a lot of vertical ascent it shouldn’t take more than 2.5 hours. If not, it could take at least 4.

From Eigerglestcher Station, take the train down to Kleine Scheidegg (or walk, fairly short downhill walk) then take the train back to Lauterbrunnen via Wengen.

If you want to add in Männlichen and the lovely walk down to Kleine Scheidegg (highly recommended), follow this routing:

1. From Lauterbrunnen, take train to Wengen, then walk the short distance to the Männlichen gondola in the center of the village.
    2. Ride gondola up to Männlichen (the only place the gondola goes)
    3. Stroll down to Kleine Scheidegg, about 3 miles long with gentle descent
    4. Take the train from KS down to Alpiglen
    5. Hike up to Eigergletscher station then take train back to Lauterbrunnen as described above

The BIG question is when are you going? The trains run all the time, but the Männlichen gondola runs only through October 20. Also, the trails can close at any time due to snow, which usually starts falling in November.

Another point: the Eiger Trail hike can be VERY cold in the fall as it passes under the North Face and very little/no sun gets to some of the sections. You will want wind & water proof jacket, hat, gloves

• The thread ‘Eiger trail when coming from lauterbrunnen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.