Eight days in Lucerne, Grindelwald and where else?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2016 at 20:29:43 #809891

We will be in Switzerland September 8-15th. We will fly into Zurich and spend the day there and train to Lucerne that evening. 2 full days in Lucerne then 3 full days in Grindelwald. From there we have 2 full days open before we have to be in Frankfort to fly home. We want to have a very active vacation so lots of hiking and throw in parasailing and ropes course. I thought we would paraglide while in Grindelwald. Can you recommend an outfit that has a good safety record and whom you trust? Is Seilpark outside Lucerne worth it and how long should we allow to be there?

Any other activities that you would highly recommend in the areas we are going? I don’t want to be on a train for half a day to get to St Moritz but I am afraid that we might be missing something really great. We were thinking about spending our last 2 days in Bern. Do you think that is a good choice? Would it be better to go to Scion for the vineyards?

Any suggestions are welcome. Would the Swiss Travel Pass be the best option? Is this the one we need to buy before we leave the states?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    16 August 2016 at 15:23:37 #855166

Hi Yogigirl, welcome to MySwissAlps!

You’ll definitely be able to enjoy lots of outdoor activities in Lucerne and Grindelwald. I don’t know the Seilpark myself, but I think it’s worthwile if you’re looking for such an active vacation. Further tips, including paragliding activities in the Jungfrau region, can be found at http://www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities/sports.

Bern wouldn’t be my first pick if you’re looking for sports activities. Another mountain location might be better in your case, or simply extending your stay in Grindelwald. If you do want to switch base towns, there are lots of options. I think you’re right in skipping St. Moritz as it would require a long train ride for such a short stay. A town in the Rhone valley, as you’ve mentioned, might work indeed. If the vineyards are what you’re looking for, I’d recommend the Lavaux area rather than Sion. Montreux or a nearby location would be great in that case.

An 8 day Swiss Travel Pass certainly makes sense if you expect to travel quite a lot. Please find details at http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass. Retailers are listed at http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price. An online purchase is recommended, as you can simply order a print at home pass which allows you to start traveling right after arrival in Zermatt.

• The thread ‘Eight days in Lucerne, Grindelwald and where else?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.