Eurail Austria Switzerland Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2013 at 12:54:04 #805918

Is there a difference in the Eurail Austria Switzerland Pass and the Swiss Pass?? ie: do I get discounts on boats, trams, etc. on the Eurail pass as well. I am confused, because AAA gave me a price for 1st Class on Eurail was cheaper than 2nd class on a Swiss Pass. We are Seniors, would that be the difference?? Obviously, would like to do the least expensive and do 1st class, but also want to take advantage of the discounts on boats, trams, etc.

Can anyone help me.

Thank You

Marie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    22 April 2013 at 15:21:55 #838397

Hi Marie,

Yes, there’s quite a difference, but it depends on your exact plans whether or not that’s significant. Please see the Swiss Pass page and Eurail Austria-Switzerland page for details, downloadable maps of what’s covered, resellers and prices.

The differences in short: Eurail does not include the Glacier Express route, museums and city transport like trams. It does include discounts on a few mountain trains/lifts. The Swiss Pass includes the Glacier Express route, free entrance to many museums, city transport in most towns and discounts on most mountain transportation.

A price sample in US dollars (I assume you’re from the US) for 2 people traveling together:

• Eurail 1st class 8 days in 2 months: $1008, see here;
    • Swiss Pass 2nd class 8 days consecutive: $732, see here;
    • Swiss Pass 1nd class 8 days consecutive: $1170, see here.

I couldn’t find any rail pass information on the AAA website, so I’m not sure how that compares to this.

Does this help you out?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2013 at 16:05:51 #838398

Thank You so much for your quick reply. This information is very helpful. Looking forward to our trip very much.

• The thread ‘Eurail Austria Switzerland Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.