Eurail Discounts in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 March 2013 at 14:34:46 #806039

Hello – I heard about discounts on certain Swiss trains (including scenic train routes) if I buy a 3-country Eurail pass (Italy, Switzerland, Austria) . Can you please let me know what kinds of discounts I get and on what trains, boat rides, etc ? Can I travel on regular Swiss trains too with the Eurail pass ?

Can you also suggest places to stay in the Interlaken area (in mid-June 2013) ?

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    31 March 2013 at 7:01:34 #838820

Hi ronith1023,

All details about what’s included can be found in our Eurail section. Feel free to let me know if any question remain!

Hotels in Interlaken can be found here. Other towns to consider include Wilderswil, Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald, Beatenberg and car free Wengen and Mürren. It really depends on how close to Interlaken you want to stay, and what your interests are (nature, easy to reach, shopping, etc.).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2013 at 11:38:34 #838821

Thanks for your promt response. I did review the Eurail Section, and have a follow up question – With a Eurail pass, I will be entitled to “free or discounted travel on selected boats and high speed train services”. Can you please let me know which boat and train rides are these specifically, and in which locations ?

Arno
    15483 posts
    1 April 2013 at 11:56:22 #838822

Hi ronith1023,

There’s a link called “Overview of discounts” at the bottom of all our Eurail pass pages. Click that and you’ll get the overview with such details. Also, you can download the network map from our pages. The map shows exactly where you can travel with your pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2013 at 10:57:56 #838823

Thanks for the information – it was very useful. Another question that came up was – If I use my Eurail Pass to qualify for a free boat ride (either in Intrerlaken or Lucerne area), can I also use the pass to travel by train between Interlaken and Lucerne on the same day ? Basicallly, I want to know if my free boat ride (that accounts for a travel day), preclude my traveling by train the very same day.

Annika
    7116 posts
    3 April 2013 at 15:57:30 #838824

Hi ronith2013. On a free travel day, you can travel without limits (except for discounted mountain transportation). So you can do your boat ride, get to Lucerne and make any other trip you’d like on the very same day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2013 at 16:49:29 #838825

Hello,

More questions on Eurail Pass:

(1) How soon should I buy the pass? I will be leaving US for Rome on June 9, 2013.
    (2) Which website is the best way to buy the pass (that has no hidden or extra surcharges) ?
    (3) In addition to the EurialPass, I believe I should also buy/book a seat reservation for every train I board. How far in advance should I do this? Can I just show up at the station and expect a seat, or should I do it a few days in advance?
    (4) If I buy a first class EurailPass, will I be entitled to a berth on every train?

Thanks.

Arno
    15483 posts
    17 May 2013 at 2:07:59 #838826

Hi ronith1023,

1) Now is about the time to do so.

2) You can find the resellers here. In your case this page and this one offer ordering from the US. Both are trusted sites from Rail Europe. At the first site, you can pay in USD and shipping is free. They’ll offer you Pass Protection (which covers lost passes, theft) but that’s only optional. The Global Pass is now $75 off but I believe you were looking into a 3-country pass, right?

3) In Switzerland, you don’t need seat reservations, except for trains to/from other countries and a few panoramic trains. Long distance trains in other countries often do require reservations. In that case you can book whenever you want, varying from ordering along with the pass to just before boarding. However, the later you do it, the bigger the chance that there are no seats left, or not the seats that you prefer. More information is here.

4) No, you’re entitled to a 1st class seat. Night trains mostly require reservations. While booking, you would decide whether you want a seat (small fee), a multiple sleeper compartment or a private sleeper compartment (most expensive option).

Enjoy the traveling!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2013 at 9:21:15 #838827

Hi – I have a British Passport holder in my travel party. Can I not buy a pass for him too through RailEurope ?

Arno
    15483 posts
    20 May 2013 at 11:50:48 #838828

Hi ronith1023,

Eurail Passes cannot be used by residents from European countries. A similar pass for European residents is the Interrail Pass, and in case of the UK you can get it here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2013 at 20:40:11 #838829

Thanks for your prompt responses. A few more questions about Gondola rides in Lucerne:
    1. I am staying at a hotel close to Pilatusplatz, Lucerne. I believe I need to get to Kriens PB for getting on the Gondola to Mt. Pilatus. How would I get to Kriens PB from Pilatusplatz ? Will my Eurail 3-country pass cover the bus ride ? Or is taking the cab easier?
    2. I would like to come down from Mt. Pilatus by train. Will the train take me down to Kriens PB as well ?

3. Where and how soon should I buy my Gondola tickets as well as train tickets back ? Can I just buy them when I am in Lucerne (June 21-23, 2013) ?

Thanks.

Arno
    15483 posts
    22 May 2013 at 0:21:39 #838830

Hi,

1. You can take a cab or a bus. The bus is not covered in Eurail; you can buy a ticket for a few francs.
    2. The funicular ends in Alpnachstadt. From there you can take a train for free to Lucerne. Maps of what’s covered in Eurail can be download from each of the Eurail pass pages.
    3. You can get gondola tickets at the valley station in Kriens, and you don’t need train tickets.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2013 at 22:58:18 #838831

Hello,
    I just bought my 3-country Eurail Select Pass (1st Class). I will be traveling to Interlaken from Venice, and will be traveling by three trains to complete this trip. Venice to Milan, Milan to Spiez, and Spiez to Interlaken Ost. At the moment, I do have reservations on the first two trains but not the Spiez-Interlaken segment.
    (1) I was wondering if I can take a boat ride from Spiez to Interlaken West (my hotel is close to Interlaken West). I will reach Spiez at 1:53 pm on June 19 (wed). I believe the boat rides are free with a Eurail pass ?
    (2) If I take the train from Spiez to Interlaken Ost, will there be a stop at Interlaken West ?
    (3) I believe I don’t need a reservation from Speiz to Interlaken as all Swiss trains don’t need reservations unless they are the Golden Pass or other private railways.
    Can you please confirm this ?
    Thanks.

Arno
    15483 posts
    31 May 2013 at 1:42:39 #838832

You are right about all of the points you mentioned! The boat is included, trains will stop in Interlaken West, and you don’t need reservations.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2013 at 13:31:22 #838833

Hi – A few questions about Giessbach Falls. I am planning on taking the boat cruise and getting off at the Giessbach stop, and taking the funicular to the top of the falls.

1. Is there a charge to ride the funicular ?
    2. Are there places to eat once you reach the top ? Is it ideal for a dinner up there ?
    3. When does it get dark usually in mid-June ?

Thanks.

Annika
    7116 posts
    1 June 2013 at 7:07:44 #838834

Hi Ronith. I think the funicular will cost a frew francs. You can also walk up (about 100 metres height difference). You’ll find a bar and a restaurant on top for a (late) lunch. As the last funicular descends by 5pm, it’s not the best place for dinner. The sun will set about 9pm, but mountains can cast shadows in the valleys earlier than that.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2013 at 22:50:29 #838835

Hi –
    (1) I am inclined to buy the ‘good morning ticket’ to go up to Jungfraujoch from Interlaken (on June 20th), but don’t want to buy it yet but rather wait until I get to Interlaken. Would that be too late to get 1st class tickets ?

(2) Which are the best boat cruises on Lake Lucerne and how much does it cost ?

Thanks.

Arno
    15483 posts
    4 June 2013 at 0:41:55 #838836

Hi Ronith,

1) That’s not too late. First class is only available for the leg Interlaken – Lauterbrunnen/Grindelwald. De majority of the trip is second class only.

2) There are quite some routes and special cruises (with dinner or lunch, sunset cruises, etc.). You’d best check them out here. The longest route, Lucerne to Flüelen is great, but if you don’t have the time for that Luzern to Vitznau or Brunnen would be magnificent as well.

• The thread ‘Eurail Discounts in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.