Eurail Pass or Swiss Pass? Interlaken & Engelberg

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 March 2016 at 11:10:26 #808543

Hi,

I’m traveling to Paris & Switzerland from 28th June to 8th July.. My itinerary is as below please advice me which pass will be cheaper for me, l’m traveling with my wife & 2 year old son. Eurail pass is on offer as 1 extra day free.. I’m planning to use Eurail select pass (2 countries) from 1st July including travel from Paris to Bern

28th June: Arrive in Paris

29th June & 30th June: Paris – Sightseeing by Hop on Hop off open bus tour 2 days pass + Effiel Tower + Seine River Cruise

1st July: From Paris to Bern by TGV… Bern to Interlaken..

2nd July: Interlaken- Lauterbunnen-Wengen- Grindweld-Interlaken

3rd July : Interlaken- Montreux- Lake Geneva Boat trip – Back to Interlaken

4th July: Interlaken Sightseeing & Depart to Engelberg Incl. Golden Pass from Interlaken to Lucerne

5th July : Engelberg to Mt. Rigi full day trip – Back to Engelberg

6th July: Mt. Titlis & Engelberg sightseeing

7th July : Engelberg- Lucerne Sightseeing incl. Lake lucerne

8th July: Engelberg to Zurich Airport

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    6 March 2016 at 9:04:56 #849062

Hi kpthakkar, welcome to MySwissAlps,

These passes are really different and the only way to tell which option is cheaper is to do the math as explained here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass. All pass details, like what’s included, how to use them, where to buy them, can be found here:

Here’s my thoughts on the passes: the Eurail Select Pass would cover the entire length of your 11-day trip as it included 10 days + 1 free day with the current promotion. But you do not need a 2-country Eurail Pass for the coverage, as it won’t include public transport within Paris, so apart from the single trip Paris to Switzerland you will only be traveling in one country.

Alternatively you could buy a regular ticket Paris – Basel (Swiss border) which is pretty cheap if you book early: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/france. An 8-day Swiss Travel Pass covers your days in Switzerland. Unlike the Eurail Select Pass it also included many free museums, more discounts on mountain trips, and some mountain trips like Mount Rigi are even free. I think this option will be easier and cheaper, but you have to do the math to be sure. Please see the above links to find out.

Does this help?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2016 at 8:45:58 #849063

Thanks a lot Annika for your quick response. I’m also thinking of getting 8 days Swiss Travel Pass now. I will appreciate your advice on my itinerary:

On 2nd July… I want to do Interlaken – Lauterbrunnen – Kleine scheiggen – Grindelwald – Interlaken. My question is whether Lauterbrunnen to Kleine scheiggen & Kleine scheiggen to Grindelwald legs are covered under Swiss travel pass or not?

On 3rd July… I’m planning Montreux from Interlaken + Lake Geneva Boat Trip. So do i need to take round trip on Lake geneva or I can get down to some station & take train from there to Interlaken?

On 5th july.. I’m planning to do Mt. Rigi full day trip.My concern is whether snow will be there on mountain that time or not? If yes than what is the best route i should take for Mt. Rigi full day from Engelberg. And in case if there’s no snow what is alternate Excursion on snow i can choose?

Thanks again.

Arno
    15471 posts
    7 March 2016 at 13:00:50 #849064

Hi kpthakkar,

July 2: the section between Wengen – Kleine Scheidegg – Grindelwald is 25% discounted. The rest is free. Please see myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ validity.

July 3: you can get off the boat in any town with a rail station. Please see myswissalps.com/ boatlakegeneva.

July 5: there won’t be snow on Mount Rigi, but there will be on Mount Titlis: myswissalps.com/ titlis.

• The thread ‘Eurail Pass or Swiss Pass? Interlaken & Engelberg’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.