Eurail 3-country Select Pass in Jungfrau region

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2017 at 16:50:06 #811959

hi experts, need your urgent help.

I will be coming to Switzerland and planning to stay in Wengen for 2 nights. I will be coming in from Lucerne and taking a train to Interlaken OST (covered by eurail pass).

From Interlaken OST, I will be taking a train to Lauterbrunnen and then to Wengen. Please advise if the train rides from Interlaken OST to Lauterbrunnen to Wengen is covered by the Eurail Pass since the travel would be on the regional train.

The other question would be about traveling from Wengen to Jungfraujoch. Where in Wengen can I purchase tickets to go to Jungfraujoch? Understand that eurail gives 25% discount on the train to jungfraujoch. What is the route from Wengen to Jungfraujoch? Is the 25% applicable for this trip? Will it also cost be one travelling day on my Eurail Pass since there is only the 25% discount and no reservation is required.

thanks in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    25 May 2017 at 8:12:45 #863840

Hi Marksuresh,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Trains from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen, Wengen and Jungfraujoch are 25% discounted with the Eurail Select Pass. Please see the map at myswissalps.com/eurail selectpass/validity for details. You don’t need to use a travel day of your pass to take advantage of the discount.

Tickets can be purchased online or at any staffed train station in Switzerland, including Wengen. The Eurail discount isn’t widely available online, so buying locally is your best option.

You’ll find the route explained here: myswissalps.com/jungfr aujoch/gettingthere.

Enjoy your trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2017 at 8:57:34 #863841

Hi Arno,

thanks for the reply. Let’s just say I decide to make my base camp in Wengen, and if I decide to travel to grindelwald or lauterbrunnen just for a day without going to jungfrau, is my train travel between Wengen, lauterbrunnen and grindelwald (just between the towns) covered in my Eurail Pass if I use one day of travel?

Also, if I plan to travel from Wengen to jungfraujoch directly (since I will be staying in Wengen), how do I purchase the tickets and which stations will the train pass by? Which would you suggest to make my base of stay if I plan to travel to jungfraujoch for one day? Would it be better to stay at Wengen, lauterbrunnen or grindelwald?

many thanks in advance!

Arno
    15471 posts
    25 May 2017 at 12:43:14 #863842

You’re welcome Marksuresh!

No, it’s always 25% off, not free. You can download the map I referred to for details about what is included in your pass.

The tickets can be purchased at any station during opening hours. Wengen, Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald are equally fine for a Jungfraujoch visit. Please see my links so you can learn more about these villages.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2017 at 12:49:18 #863843

Hi, thanks for the quick reply!

i am confused. If I don’t go to jungfrau, so basically just train between Wengen, lauterbrunnen and grindelwald, is it still 25% off or is it covered under my Eurail Pass?

Arno
    15471 posts
    25 May 2017 at 12:58:43 #863844

Hi Marksuresh,

It is still 25% off, you can verify that on the map. With a Eurail Pass you can only travel for free as far as Interlaken.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2017 at 13:13:44 #863845

Hi Arno, just a few more questions:

1. From interlaken to lauterbrunnen to Wengen, if it’s 25% off, does it utilise one Travelling day in my Eurail? Also what is the price from wengen to grindelwald?

2.What is the suggested route to take if I plan to travel from Lucerne to rigi kaltbad-first using my Eurail Pass and one day of travel?

3. What is the suggested route to take to rheinfalls from Lucerne if I plan to utilise one travel day on my Eurail Pass?

Arno
    15471 posts
    25 May 2017 at 13:46:04 #863846

Hi Marksuresh,

1. No travel day required, please see my second post in this thread. The price without discount is CHF 15.80 via Lauterbrunnen or CHF 55 via Kleine Scheidegg. You can find prices through the timetable.

2. My preference would be to take the boat to Vitznau (free) and switch to the cogwheel train (50% off) there. Please see myswissalps.com/rigi.

3. Please see the timetable I linked to under 1. These trains are free.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2017 at 6:53:09 #863847

Thanks for the responses Arno.

Have another question.

1. if i am staying at wengen, what is the best route to take to paris using my eurail pass (and 1 travelling day) and any applicable discount with the pass?

Thanks in advance!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2017 at 10:23:18 #863848

You can see what routes are covered from Interlaken to Paris on the Eurail Map here and can plan accordingly with the Swiss railways timetable (I assume by best route you mean free route!)

• The thread ‘Eurail 3-country Select Pass in Jungfrau region’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.