Excursion from Geneva to Chamonix

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2016 at 8:34:56 #808635

Hello,

I will be in Geneva at the end of March and thinking of visiting Chamonix. I have seen advertised day tours for around $200. Is it quite easy to take a train and go on your own or better to take a tour? It is our first time in Switzerland. We were also thinking of visiting Mt. Pilatus while in Lucerne. How do the two excursions compare if we wanted to choose just one? Thank you!

CN

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    16 March 2016 at 9:19:38 #849474

Hi CN,

If you have a Swiss Travel Pass you can take a train via Martigny and Vallorcine for free. It’s a scenic ride with one or two changes, but it’s a long trip: more than 3 hours one way. If you don’t have a pass you can consider to book a tour by bus. That would be quicker and most probably cheaper than buying tickets. There are tours for about $175 with the cable car to Aiguille du Midi included, or less without the cable car. Please see http://www.viator.com/ tours/Geneva/ Chamonix-and-Mont-Blanc and http://www.viator.com/tours/G eneva/Independent-Chamonix-and-Mont-Blanc-Tour-from-Geneva.

For Mount Pilatus, please see myswissalps.com/ pilatus.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2016 at 9:14:57 #849475

Thanks Arno,

We do want to have some high mountain scenery experience, if given the choice of Chamonix or Pilatus, which would you choose? I am also reading about Titlis, how does that compare? thanks.

CN

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 March 2016 at 10:02:22 #849476

Hi CN,

I haven’t been to Chamonix to I can’t comment on that. The Mont Blanc is the highest mountain in Western Europe, so it definitely qualifies. Out of Mount Pilatus and Titlis, it’s Titlis that offers actual high mountain scenery: myswissalps.com/ titlis. Pilatus is a spectacular but “mid sized” mountain when compared to others in Switzerland.

• The thread ‘Excursion from Geneva to Chamonix’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.