Experience of replacement buses due to rail works?

Experience of replacement buses due to rail works?

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
SallyW
SallyW
8 posts
Mar 21, 2016 - 9:03 AM

I have just noticed when looking at the updated timetable Engelberg to Lucerne that there are going to be rail works near Hergiswil on the day of our return journey, 2nd April. They are laying on buses for the affected sections, annoyingly meaning we have to get on and off transport several times to reach Basel airport. This means we will have to leave Engelberg at least an hour early. My worry and my question is does anyone know whether they will send enough buses to accommodate the number of people who may have been on the train? I have visions of being refused entry to the bus with a knock-on effect of missing our flight.

Annika
Annika
4417 posts
expert &
Mar 21, 2016 - 11:56 AM

Hi SallyW,

That's a pity indeed. Generally such replacement transportation is very well organised though. There should be enough buses, information on how to change is provided and personnel will be there to help with the transfers and to answer questions. At least, that's how things were organised the few times I've experienced replacement buses myself. If you feel like carrying along your luggage may be a inconvenient, you can look into the SBB's luggage services.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2656 posts
expert
Mar 21, 2016 - 8:32 PM in reply to SallyW

Hi Sally W-

I can confirm Annika's experiences. That has happened to me a few times, and, other than the delay, it has been quite well organized. I am sure that there will be plenty of capacity for all the passengers.

Luggage is a nuisance, but they can accommodate it on the bus or buses in various ways.

Slowpoke

Last modified on Mar 21, 2016 - 8:32 PM by Slowpoke
maggiehorswell
maggiehorswell
318 posts
top member
Mar 21, 2016 - 11:40 PM in reply to SallyW

Hi Sally

Try not to worry. The few times we have had to use a bus replacement service, everything went smoothly. There were staff on hand to direct us to a bus, (we didn't have luggage as we were on a day excursion but other people did and had no problems). We assume the staff then phoned ahead to the rail station to let them know how many buses to expect as the train waited for them all to arrive.

When we are leaving Switzerland we usually send our luggage ahead to the airport so you could enquire about that at your departure rail station.

Have a great holiday.

Maggie

SallyW
SallyW
8 posts
Mar 23, 2016 - 7:32 AM in reply to maggiehorswell

Thanks for the helpful replies. I feel a lot better about it now!

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016