Family 2 + 2 travel in july for a 2-3 day trip.

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 June 2012 at 2:51:34 #805443

I am travelling with my wife and 2 kids below 16 between July 9- 12th 2012 after landing in Zurich from Paris.I intend to return from Zurich to Paris again. Which is the best swiss pass available and where do I stay to make the best of my time & hopefully economical.Which peaks and train routes should I take which will be memorable 🙂 ?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    2 July 2012 at 12:34:53 #836648

Hello rod88888. Lucerne and surroundings can easily be reached from Zurich. You could visit Rigi, Pilatus and the lake. Interlaken (and the surrounding lakes plus viewing points such as Schilthorn and Jungfraujoch) are doable as well. You can plan your trips using the timetable.

Which pass you should choose, actually depends on your travel plans. But in general: if you like the idea of free traveling, you can consider a 4 day Swiss Saver Pass. Your children will travel along for free with the free STS Family Card.

In case you’re looking for hotels: they can be found at the Zurich, Zurich Airport, Interlaken and Lucerne hotel pages.

I hope this gets you started!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 July 2012 at 23:08:31 #836649

Thanks for the reply. About the Swiss Saver pass, is it for a couple or each adult buys 1 pass, I believe the promo will start after Sep1 again? Also how do you rate Meireingen as a place to stay and travel to Interlaken & Lucerne from there ? You are a good source of guidance for the travelling gentry, keep it up !

Annika
    7103 posts
    4 July 2012 at 8:53:40 #836650

Hi rod88888. A Swiss Saver Pass is one ticket for 2 or more people traveling together. Just get to the Swiss Pass page, select one of the Swiss Saver Pass variants in the upper right corner and fill out 2 adults. Prices with different resellers and further specifications will be displayed then. The 2 for 1 offer is not valid for July, but the Swiss Saver Pass is already 15% cheaper than buying two regular Swiss Passes.

Meiringen is certainly nice, but personally I’d prefer Lucerne and/or Interlaken or a nearby town, as they’re located more centrally. The timetable will help you to find out about traveling times from Meiringen, if that’s your base.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2012 at 3:59:07 #836651

thanks for the guidance. I had a nice short trip in Switzerland. Stayed in Lucerne, visited Mt. Titlis, went to Interlaken-Jungfraujoch. Lucene was a wise decision over Meiringen, would not advise anyone to go to the latter.The Swiss Saver Pass was convenient, but point to point tickets might have cost us less as we did not travel a lot.

Annika
    7103 posts
    17 July 2012 at 9:10:42 #836652

Thanks for getting back to us! I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Switzerland. I agree that Lucerne is a better base than Meiringen. As for your Swiss Pass: in some cases regular tickets turn out to be cheaper, but for most holidays a Swiss rail pass is more economical – and much more convenient indeed.

• The thread ‘Family 2 + 2 travel in july for a 2-3 day trip.’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.