Fear of heights & Mt Pilatus trip

• Zanygirl
    Participant
    20 posts
    13 June 2016 at 10:59:25 #809436

In reading an earlier post and your response to a traveler’s fear of heights and Mt. Pilatus….My husband also has a fear of heights and I’m trying to find a way to make the whole experience less frightening for him. I was thinking of taking the cog wheel up/down to Pilatus. However, I would like to go to Frakmuntegg to do the toboggan. Is there any way to get there other than the cable car/gondola? In regards to the toboggan, what would this experience be for one with a fear of heights? Is this something I’ll need to do by myself?

Thanks for your advice!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2016 at 7:42:37 #853057

Pilatus is NOT as high as Titlis or Jungfrau. I went to both Titlis and Pilatus this April and while I had some unexpected headache at Titlis, but Pilatus was ok for me. That being said, it depends on how much height your husband is afraid off. The cogwheel to Pilatus is quite steep. Since it starts operation from May so I could use the same during my trip. But the gondola / cable cars are quite gentle and not much height from the mountain slopes. It takes a nice 25 mins to reach the first station and another 10 mins from there to the 2nd station. But as said, prevention is better than cure… If he is much afraid better not to take a chance rather regret later. You can find that out at the 1st cable station itself after he had traveled the first leg for 25 mins.

Zanygirl
    Participant
    20 posts
    14 June 2016 at 11:37:37 #853058

Thanks for your feedback. For some reason, even though steep, I thought the cog wheel train would be easier on him, thinking that he could be on the side that wouldn’t be open to the cliff! Good information about the gondola. Since we want to do the toboggan on the way down, we may have to do the gondola/cable car down. Whew…we’ll see!

Arno
    15471 posts
    14 June 2016 at 11:55:06 #853059

The gondola from Kriens to Fräkmüntegg will be doable I guess. The cable car from there to Pilatus Kulm (the peak) won’t be much fun if you’re afraid of heights I think. There are pictures on the below pages that give you an idea of what to expect:

• The thread ‘Fear of heights & Mt Pilatus trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.