Boat cruise from Montreux to Lausanne, wine train

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2016 at 6:30:15 #808614

Hi

I find this forum really helpful and very detailed inserts to a lot of questions.

I will be travelling to Switzerland in April. I want to visit the Montreux Riveria on 12th april (will be staying at Interlaken). A friend suggested i should take the boat trip from Montreux to Lausanne. However i cannot find any boat trips on that specific day either on the cgn or sbb site. Do any ferries run on that route or are cgn boats the only option? Can you please help me out with the details of availability.

We would also like to take the lavaux wine train. Is the lavaux express from cully and lutry a good option? What the best way to get there? Please help me with travel between montreux, lauvaux (along with the wine train and wine tasting) and lausanne.

thank you

Kanika

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 March 2016 at 8:18:59 #849393

Hi Kanika-

You will be on the winter timetable for the boat. Seems that it is not running that day.

http://www.cgn.ch/media/31690 6/cgn_aff-horaires_hiver_2016_we b_v2.pdf

If you test in this link with a later date….in June for example, you will find a trip, so the route exists. Just not on April 12.

http://www.cgn.ch/en-gb/horaires/timetable. aspx?tripType=2&departure=M ONTR0&arrival=LAUSA0&t ripDate=08.06.2016&opt ions=0&maxChange=2&max Wait=60

The Wine Train runs from Vevey to Puidoux-Chexbres and return. Very short, very scenic ride. Best in the fall, but the vineyards should be responding to the sun by mid April.

Check the timetable.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

It runs at xx09 all day long.

Hope this gives you a start. You have suggested a long day trip, especially if you make stops.

The Golden Pass Route via Zweisimmen is slower than the rout from Interlaken to Montreux via bern. use the “via” or “connections” box in the timetable to select intermediate stops and force the routing.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2016 at 5:02:21 #849394

Hi

Thank you for the insights. I find cruises available on Sunday 10th April. Have changed my itinerary accordingly. Can you tell me if the boats on Lake geneva by CGN are covered by the Swiss Travel Pass or do i need to reserve in advance?

Also I will be travelling to St.Moritz by Glacier Express on 13th April. Do we require prior reservations for Indian Vegatraian meals or will it be freely available on board? The glacier express site just mentions prior bookings for daily special meals. All others are on spot?

We will then move to Lugano on 14th. Is it a good option to take a car at St.Moritz and drive down to Lugano via Como. Would like to visit Bellagio on Lake Como and take a ferry on Lake Como. How long is the drive? Are the roads mountainous? Also will parking be available at the boat docks?

thank you

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 March 2016 at 7:42:39 #849395

Hi Kanika,

The boats are covered, please see myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ validity. As far as I know a meal on the Glacier Express always needs to be reserved, but you can do it on board as well. I don’t know whether they can be booked out (there will always be snacks though) or whether they have Indian food. You may want to try the Swiss vegetarian dish. Please see http://www.glacierexpress.ch/ EN/Travel_information/ Food_beverages/Pages/d efault.aspx.

I would not rent a car in St. Moritz. The roads are definitely mountainous, and it’s more enjoyable by train/bus. The Bernina Express gets you to Lugano with a scenic train and bus ride: myswissalps.com/ berninaexpress. All of it, except seat reservations, is covered in the Swiss Travel Pass. There are frequent trains from Lugano to Como. You could rent a car in Italy if other options are inconvenient there.

• The thread ‘Boat cruise from Montreux to Lausanne, wine train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.