Questions before visiting Switzerland late October

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2015 at 14:38:23 #807860

Hi . This forum is absolute fantastic for anyone who is vising Switzerland and for answering threre all sorts of questions or queries.

Me my wife and our 4 year old girl are travelling To Switzerland from UK in October 26 for 5 nights. Our flight is landing Geneva where we are staying for first night , then second day we are going to Interlaken via train from geneva airport and planning to stay there for 3 nights and to cover Jungfrau and other places as well from interlaken. We also have swiss travel pass for both Adults.

1 Do we need any kind of ticket or pass for my 4 years old girl to travel in switzerland or Jungfrau region ?

2. How much will it cost approximately for three of us to travel to Jungfrau coming and back from interlaken with Swiss travel pass ?

3.What is the best place to stay in Interlaken with good views ?

4. Is Glacier express will not be avilable in October month ?

5. What is the best way to book hotels or chalets so tht i get discount using my swiss travel pass ?

6.what sort of clothing and shoes we need to take in October end ?

7.Can i go to Lucrene and Zermatt in one day from Interlaken and come back ?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15478 posts
    2 September 2015 at 11:04:39 #845842

Hi sunny1,

Thanks for your compliments!

1. No, children up to 5 travel for free and do not require any ticket. You do need an ID that proves their age.

2. About CHF 130 per adult.

3. Interlaken is located in the valley and a bit city-like, so the views are pretty limited. But if you’re in the right spot, and have a south facing room, it’s still very nice as you can see as far as the Jungfrau. You’ll find hotel suggestions here. I’m glad to provide more specific suggestions. Please let us know your budget.

4. The Glacier Express is indeed not operational during your stay, but all the regular trains on that route still are. But it’s not a good idea when based in Interlaken as it’s too far away.

5. You don’t get a discount on accommodation with a Swiss Travel Pass.

6. That depends on what you intend to do. If it’s hiking, please see here. Further tips are on our weather page.

7. Yes, you can. Lucerne takes nearly 2 hours one way, and Zermatt 2 to 2.5 hours.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 September 2015 at 12:01:45 #845843

Hi Arno

Thanks for your prompt reply.

1. Even childern under 5 dont require tickets in Jungfrau region or in any panoramic trains ?

2.what do you think would be best to stay in Interlaken hotels or Chalets ?

3. Is it possible if you ca make a a brief itineary for 3 nights in interlaken including visit to Lucrene and Zermatt and places to see in all this places.

Arno
    15478 posts
    2 September 2015 at 12:46:11 #845844

Hi sunny1,

1. They don’t need tickets anywhere. All they need is a seat reservation for the very few scenic trains that require them, like the Glacier Express. But such trains do not seem to fit into your plans.

2. Hotels are best for short stays. Most chalets and apartments are only available for a week or longer, although you can check for exceptions. You can have a look at http://www.en.e-domizil.ch/ holiday-houses/ch/ jungfrauregion/interla ken/ 854/1040110/ for apartments and http://www.hotelscombined.com / Place/Interlaken.htm for hotels.

3. Sorry, we don’t make itineraries. That’s up to you as it should be based on your personal interest, pace of travel and budget. But, feel free to post your tentative plans for feedback. Our site offers lots of suggestions and practical tips. See “Getting started” and “What to do” in the top menu. The Interlaken page will also be helpful. One key thing to know is that you should be flexible and adapt to the weather. So make a list of what you want to do, and make your decision for the next day based on the weather forecast.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2015 at 11:52:23 #845845

Hi Arno

Is the Swiss Travel pass and Interrail Switzerland Pass are same. what is the difference between then and which one should I go for as I live in UK. I am asking this question because there is a massive price difference between both, if they both work same way I might go for Interrail Switzerland pass ?

Please Advise.

Arno
    15478 posts
    3 September 2015 at 14:39:52 #845846

Hi sunny1,

The passes are not the same. We don’t have Interrail pages yet (planned for 2016) but what’s included is basically identical to Eurail passes. You can compare that to the Swiss Travel Pass: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ validity.

A Swiss Travel Pass is more comprehensive, and available with a 20% discount, see http://www.swisstravelsystem. co.uk/ en/node/66 and here.

• The thread ‘Questions before visiting Switzerland late October’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.