Final itinerary – 4d/3n Zurich and Interlaken

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2013 at 1:41:51 #806105

Hi! So after much deliberation, I’ve finally settled on my itinerary. I fly into Zurich on the 20th of July, roam around for a bit, and spend the night there. Next morning, I take the 7.04 train to Mt. Titlis, spend as much time as needed and take the train to Interlaken for the night. The next morning, I take the 7.05 train to Jungfraujoch [via Lauterbrunnen] and take a train back to Interlaken [via Grindelwald]. I stay the night there and fly out of Zurich the next day. So, here are my questions:

1. Is going via Lauterbrunnen and coming back via Grindelwald the better option or the other way around?

2. Are there specific parts of the train I should sit on [like left/right side or front/back portion]

3. How much time would be alright to cover Titlis and Jungfraujoch? Would about 4 hours for each be enough?

4. Does my itinerary leave free time in Interlaken or even Zurich to visit Luzern for a bit?

5. My hotel in Interlaken is closer to Interlaken West station rather then Interlaken Ost. And from what I gather from the sbb website, the train leaves from Ost. So how much time should I keep aside for walking to Ost? Please keep in mind that I’m travelling with 2 older people and they would prefer walking a little slower.

6. Within Zurich itself, is it better to take the train or cabs? Say from my hotel on Wallisellenstrasse to Bahnhofstrasse? Or from Hofwisenstrasse to Lowenstrasse?

Like last time, I apologise for the number of questions I asked. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Leon

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7115 posts
    8 July 2013 at 5:21:17 #839044

Hi Leon! Great that you’re about to finalize your travel plans.

1/2. It doesn’t make a big difference, but I think I’d indeed prefer the route you propose, as the trip up to Wengen and Kleine Scheidegg from Lauterbrunnen is very impressive, especially if you sit on the right side of the train. As for Kleine Scheidegg-Grindelwald: the right hand offers views of the Eiger and Wetterhorn, the left side of the valley surrounding Grindelwald.

3. Do you mean 4 hours including or excluding the journeys to and from the viewing point? 4 hours just to be at the top and enjoy the views and attractions would be more than enough. Including the return train journeys, it would be too tight.

4. If you don’t spend too long at the Titlis and don’t mind arriving in Interlaken in the evening, then yes, you could plan a few hours in Lucerne. A stroll over the Kappel bridge and along the lake side, and a visit to the old town centre would be possible.

5. You can also take regular trains from Interlaken West and Interlaken Ost. I can’t tell how long a walk to Ost would take, as that depends on the address of your hotel. You can check for yourself at maps.google.ch.

6. In Zurich, you can best travel by bus and S-Bahn (tram). You can fill out specific streets and adresses in the timetable for all details.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2013 at 12:34:06 #839045

Hi Annika! Thanks for your reply!

Yeah, I meant 4 hours at the top to just go around and stuff, excluding the train journeys to get to either mountain top. Are there restaurants along the way or on the peak [both Titlis and Jungfrau] where I can stop for breakfast?

And, do you think my itinerary leaves time to cover both Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald or just one? If one, is it better to go around Grindelwald? I don’t really want tough hiking type paths, so the area with flat, easy-to-walk terrain would be better suited to my needs, I think.

I’m going to be carrying Swiss passes, so both the buses and the S-bahn would be covered under that, I presume?

And lastly, what kind of souvenir should I pick up? And from where? Zurich/Lucerne/Interlaken/one of the mountains or a places along the way, like Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen?

Thanks for all your help!

Leon

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2013 at 15:14:15 #839046

I forgot to mention that about the journey to and from Jungfraujoch, I’m open to routes through other villages like Wengen or Murren too. Please recommend whichever route is best to follow [I would prefer a route to Jungfrau through village and back to Interlaken through another].

Thanks for any suggestions!

Arno
    15479 posts
    10 July 2013 at 1:23:28 #839047

Hi Leon,

There are restaurants in Engelberg and at the top of the Titlis. For the trip up the Jungfrau there are restaurants in Kleine Scheidegg and at the Jungfrau (both of these open pretty early but I don’t know the exact time), and also in the villages along the way. Most restaurants in the villages will be closed early in the morning.

If you want to see a bit more of the Jungfrau region then do this:

• Travel up to the Jungfrau via Grindelwald by train;
    • Go down via Wengen to Lauterbrunnen by train;
    • Walk to Stechelberg via the flat valley floor, or take the bus;
    • Take the cable car up to Mürren;
    • Walk to the other end of the village (20 min.) and either walk to Grütschalp or take the train;
    • Take the cable car down to Lauterbrunnen;
    • Take the train to Interlaken.

This makes a wonderful round trip with options to take breaks at the various villages and to do short easy walks. The timetable shows how long all sections take. All of this is free with your Swiss Pass, except Grindelwald to Jungfrau and Jungfrau to Wengen (25% discounted).

Souvenirs are available everywhere; you won’t have trouble finding something nice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2013 at 13:36:17 #839048

Hi Arno,

Thanks for your reply. I just have a couple more questions:

1. Does it get dark very early in the Jungfrau region? What is the usual sunset time in July? And sunrise?

2. This question might be rather stupid but I’d like to be sure all the same. On the sbb website, when I type in the name of a station, say Grindelwald, I get a number of options like Grindelwald and Grindelwald Grund. The journey time to these stations also varies, for instance Interlaken Ost to Grindelwald Grund takes 47 minutes while Interlaken Ost to Grindelwald takes 34 minutes. So, could you please tell me the exact names for the Grindelwald, Wengen, Lauterbrunnen, Stechelberg and Mürren stations? Grütschalp, Jungfraujoch and Kleine Scheidegg have only one option and I already know which one I prefer from Interlaken Ost and West.

Thanks for your help!

Leon

Annika
    7115 posts
    12 July 2013 at 12:39:47 #839049

Hi Leon. Sunrise is about 6 am, sunset about 9 pm. It depends on the exact town and location how late mountains start to cast shadows in the valleys though.

These are the exact names you have to enter in the SBB timetable for the main railway stations: Grindelwald, Wengen, Lauterbrunnen, Stechelberg Post, Mürren BLM (for the rail station to Grütschalp) or Mürren Schilthornbahn (for the cable car to either Stechelberg or the Schilthorn). The timetable often displays many bus stops too, that’s why you see such long lists. By the way, Grindelwald Grund is a small railway station near Grindelwald’s main station; it’s right across the Männlichen valley station.

• The thread ‘Final itinerary – 4d/3n Zurich and Interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.