Finding the Bernina Express bus at Tirano

• rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 May 2017 at 17:55:21 #811995

So it wasn’t quite as straight forward as this thread http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/bernina-express-bus-from-tirano would lead you to believe.

On leaving the Bernina Express train you turn right out of the station and you will see an underpass with a sign which says Bus to Lugano e Poschiavo.

Once you you get to the other side of the subway you should see the red Bernina Bus.

Pro-tip: If you need to visit a toilet before boarding the bus. Go to the one at the Station where the train arrives. The one at the bus depot leaves a lot to be desired (breathable air, toilet paper, soap, dry floor etc etc); ENTER AT YOU OWN RISK!

The Bus stops for a toilet break about half-way to Lugano. The stop was supposed to be 10 minutes but was closer to 30 mins as that’s how long the queue for the toilet took to clear. Maybe because there where two buses. The red Bernina bus and a suplementary Post bus.

The bus ride is quite scenic once you reach Lake Como and is an amazing demonstration of the bus driver’s ability to negotiate the narrow winding road. If you sit near the front of the bus you will marvel at the number of times the bus squeezes through impossible gaps

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Adelaidean
    Participant
    121 posts
    28 May 2017 at 1:15:00 #864038

Noting this for another trip…. Going in September, but have been accumulating ideas for trip after that (to visit Ticino region.)

Always grateful for toilet tips, too LOL 😀

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2017 at 10:45:52 #864039

Thanks for the tips sir!

Sounds like you are having a great trip – hot weather you are getting now eh?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 May 2017 at 17:13:43 #864040

Hi Lucas,

Just arrived Luzern from Lugano via the Gotthard Panorama. 31 degrees is pretty hot especially for a pair of Tasmanians!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2017 at 6:44:23 #864041

Yes, hot for this Canadian as well!

I was in Luzern on Saturday for a trip to the Stanserhorn – very nice mountain and easy to get to from Luzern – will post a trip report later today. Enjoy your trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2017 at 21:25:38 #864042

Hello rockoyster the Taswegian

We’re from Sydney and will be in Milan for a few days later this year and are looking at a day trip to St Moritz on the Bernina Express going up and a bus/train trip via Chiavenna/Colico back to Milan (or vice versa).

What would you recommend?

Thanks

John

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 June 2017 at 22:34:11 #864043

G’day John,

Well I’d say you’d be in for a long day if based in Milan. You’d need to get to Tirano by 10:00 am to catch the BEX.

You’d need to check timetables but I’d guess a minimum 12 hour day travelling even if all the connections are relatively short.

I like trains – bus trips just don’t do it for me.

Ciao.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 June 2017 at 23:34:52 #864044

Hi John,

I just thought the Palm Express bus St Moritz – Lugano might work for you. But the connections don’t fit with the BEX.

If you were willing to overnight in St Moritz you could go Milan – Lugano – St. Moritz on day 1 (Palm Express departs Lugano 12:20) and catch 9.30 am BEX to Tirano then on to Milan day 2.

I loved Lugano might be worth a day trip their if you run out of things to do in Milan.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2017 at 0:55:11 #864045

Ciao

Unfortunately, we’ve already booked our accommodation in Milan.

We were also looking at another day trip to Lake Como. What is there to do/see in Lugarno?

Thanks, John

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 June 2017 at 2:55:36 #864046

Hi John,

We went up Monte Bre, did a few boat trips, visited castles at nearby Bellinzona, took a train ride to Locarno and just enjoyed wandering round the city soaking up the “Italian” atmosphere and of course eating pizza and drinking red wine followed by the ritual passeggiata along the waterfront.

If you are going to Como you can probably do without Lugano.

If you want to venture in to Switzerland and trains up mountains are your bag you could check out http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-au/monte-generoso.html

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2017 at 3:25:31 #864047

Hello

As with all travel, the more you look, the more there is to see.

Maybe we’ll get to Lugarno on our next trip?

Thanks, John

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 June 2017 at 5:19:09 #864048

Just adding a couple of pictures to make it a bit easier to find the Bernina Express Bus.

In the first one you can see on the right where people exit the train station on arriving in Tirano on the Bernina Express. Towards the middle there is a lady in a blue top just about to go down the steps leading to the subway which takes you over to the Bus Station. Note that if you walk to the right of the steps you will find a ramp which makes it much easier if you are carting suitcases. We only discovered the ramp once we go to the bottom of the stairs.

The second is a Google Satellite view. The yellow line leads from the train station to the subway. The red line is the route of the subway.

The bus station is run by Automobilistica Perego Spa and is on Via Calcagno.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2017 at 14:06:52 #864049

Thanks rockoyster! I’ll bookmark this. I’ve been on the Bernina Express several times, but never taken the bus to Lugano from Tirano. I would like to do it some day though. Good to know about that ramp too!

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2018 at 6:22:33 #864050

Hi rockoyster

I’m suffering from paranoia looking for the bus stop at Tirano for the BEX Bus to Lugano. In your post u had some attachments but I don’t seem to be able to open them. Is there a possibility that u may still have them?

Appreciate your assistance.

TQ

Sim

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2018 at 7:43:58 #864051

>> In your post u had some attachments but I don’t seem to be able to open them.

Are you logged in to the site? They are just simple .jpg pictures.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2018 at 8:15:50 #864052

Hi Alpenrose666

oh ok I now managed to open it. Had to log in then move out of the Forum then come in again! Got the photos as my guide. M relieved.

Tq

Sim

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 12:09:17 #864053

Hi all

We will be doing this in reverse in a week or so’s time, BEX bus from Lugano to Tirano, then BEX train, So i guess I can just reverse the instructions? Thanks.

Cheers

Ian

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 16:55:58 #864054

Hi Ian,

Yup! That should work.

• The thread ‘Finding the Bernina Express bus at Tirano’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.