Winter holiday Grindelwald: rail passes and budget

• Lou1808
    Participant
    3 posts
    28 January 2017 at 21:53:41 #810687

I will be traveling to Switzerland next month for the first time with my partner and 3 year old son for 10 days. We will be flying into Geneva and staying with family in Grindelwald. What train ticket would be best for us as we will be staying mainly there or maybe into Interlaken for the day. Can this be brought at the airport.

Also does anyone know the prices for ski rentals/skiing or sledging, trying to work out how much to budget the holiday on as I know it can be abit pricey.

I have so many questions but these are just a few.

Many thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    29 January 2017 at 10:44:10 #858528

Hi Lou1808, thanks for joining us!

A Swiss Transfer Ticket is the best option for your journey from Geneva to Grindelwald and back. You have to buy it online before leaving. Resellers are listed here. Your children will travel along for free if you order along the free Swiss Family Card.

Which option is most suitable for your stay in Grindelwald/Interlaken, depends on your specific plans. You seem to be aiming at winter sports, so one of the local ski passes may work for you. This pass calculation guide can be of help.

You may also be interested in these tips about saving money during your stay.

I hope this gets you started!

Lou1808
    Participant
    3 posts
    29 January 2017 at 15:20:23 #858529

Thanks Annika.

Yes we are staying in grindelwald but mite take a trip into Interlaken for the day.

I also found the info on ski pass quite helpful as I will only be sledging with my son.

Can you purchase the swiss travel pass in the airport or does this have to be done online only.

Thanks again 😀

Arno
    15484 posts
    29 January 2017 at 16:18:09 #858530

Hi Lou1808,

You do not need a Swiss Travel Pass. Annika recommended the Swiss Travel Ticket. You can only buy it online, not at the airport. Simply go to http://www.swisstravelsystem. co.uk and enter the traveler details. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the ticket within 3 working days, so you can print it at home.

Lou1808
    Participant
    3 posts
    29 January 2017 at 21:01:06 #858531

Sorry Arno that was my mistake i was meant to write transfer ticket.

My sister in law was there last year and she purchased train tickets at the airport for the train but she can’t remember what train tickets it was.

With the transfer ticket is it a direct train to grindelwald as I know last year she had to change trains.

Thanks again for the help 😀

Annika
    7124 posts
    30 January 2017 at 9:12:47 #858532

Hi Lou1808!

The type of ticket you use doesn’t influence the train connection you need. You can find details in the timetable. From Geneva Airport to Grindelwald you need two transfers: one in Bern and one in Interlaken Ost.

• The thread ‘Winter holiday Grindelwald: rail passes and budget’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.