First time visiting Jungfrau region on May 10-14

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 December 2016 at 5:18:37 #810420

Hey guys,

I plan on visiting Switzerland in May 2017 and based on what I have read so far, weather in May can be very unpredictable. I would like to seek your advice on where to stay as a base — should I split my days to 2 places or can I stay in just 1 area for the entire trip?

I would really want to stay in mountain villages like Murren, Wengen, Grindelwald, etc. because of the view. But given the unpredictable weather, I don’t know what’s the best option for me. I’m actually looking forward to seeing both fine weather and snowfall (we don’t experience snow where I’m from) LOL. They say Interlaken is a tourist trap so I don’t want to stay there, maybe a day trip is fine.

I would also like to try paragliding and riding the luge — are these activities possible in May? Saw paragliding videos on youtube that were done in May but I’m not sure with the luge.

Apologies if my thoughts are all over the place. I probably need more research but your inputs would be very helpful.

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 December 2016 at 16:48:07 #857325

Hello,

We did a similar time frame last October. We elected to stay in Murrren the whole time and loved it. Yes the weather is unpredictable but it if it cloudy up it might not be down or visa versa. There is several days worth of things to do down in the valley and lakes if the weather does not cooperate.

There are fabulous hikes on either side of the valley. We selected Murren because it is pretty quiet. Didn’t want Grindelwald. We spent some time in Wengen and that seemed nice as well. Both sides of the valley gets lots of tourists coming through to either go to Jungfrau or Schilthorn. It’s nice to be there after they all leave for the day.

Murren was about a 20 minute trip (cable car and train) from the valley floor and the trip to Wengen is train only.

Once you get a better idea of what you would like to do, or if any of the hikes seem like must dos for you, I think it is easier to stay on that side of the valley. It will save you some travel time at the beginning and end of your day. Keep in mind though that everything is accessible from both sides, you just need to go down and back up.

Happy planning and enjoy, the scenery there is breathtaking!

Ellen

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 December 2016 at 6:39:53 #857326

Thanks Ellen! I also like Murren based from the videos I’ve watched on Youtube. Hikes are not a priority for me, if the weather condition permits, I’d love to hike but if not, not a big deal. Aside from the paragliding and luge ride, my itinerary is very flexible. I’ve read that I can easily visit Wengen and other places within the Jungfrau region, so I guess I’ll explore those places.

• The thread ‘First time visiting Jungfrau region on May 10-14’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.