First time to Wengen, which pass for one week?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2016 at 19:58:46 #809263

Hello, we are doing a first time 1 week hiking trip, based out of Wengen and I wondered if anyone could comment on two questions:

1) what is the best discount “pass” to buy for 2 adults and 2 kids aged 10 and 12?

2) what is the best way to book the 3-4 legged journey from Rome to Wengen by train?

Thank you!

Chrissy

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 May 2016 at 23:20:03 #852329

Hi Chrissyfield –

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

I’m sorry to say that I cannot easily answer your questions. The forum moderators, Arno and Annika, are much better at those than I am. I’m sure that they will jump in.

It would be useful to know your dates, since the Jungfrau region is not fully into summer season until June 15th.

That can give you a perspective for looking at these links:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

and –

jungfrauregion.ch/

and-

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/tou rism/destinations/klei ne-scheidegg/hiking-trails/

The latter link updates periodically..

Look at the date at the bottom.

Slowpoke

Annika
    7116 posts
    21 May 2016 at 9:16:25 #852330

Welcome to MySwissAlps, Chrissyfield!

It’s hard to tell which pass is best, as it depends on your plans for Wengen, your inbound trip and your outbound trip. Assuming you’ll be arriving from Rome and traveling back to an airport or border town, you could consider these options:

Our section on how to find the right pass may be helpful. If you’re still unsure after your calculations, please post your plans in detail here.

Which tickets to book for your inbound trip from Rome, depends on the pass you pick. If it’s one of the combinations mentioned above, you’d need a ticket Rome-Domodossola. From there your Swiss Transfer Ticket (Combi) would take over. Lots of information and retailers can be found here. Please let me know if studying this page helps you out.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2016 at 23:27:05 #852331

Thank you all for your expert advice! We will be based in Wengen for 7 days and plan to hike every day and do some sightseeing including a steamboat trip, going up to the top of the Jungfrau, etc. Our focus is to do as many beautiful hikes in the vicinity as possible so we will not be going far but plan on using all the near by public transport modes. We are also taking the train from Rome into Wengen and then leaving by train from Wengen to Paris. Thank you again. Chrissyfield

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    31 May 2016 at 0:58:35 #852332

Hi Chrissyfield-

Still no answer to

<<“It would be useful to know your dates, since the Jungfrau region is not fully into summer season until June 15th”>>

It matters for weather, hikes at altitude, and accommodation.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15483 posts
    31 May 2016 at 11:29:43 #852333

As for the train pass I would say the first option Annika mentioned is the best. Please have a look at the page she linked to so you can see if it matches your plans.

• The thread ‘First time to Wengen, which pass for one week?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.