First Timer— Need help to finalize the tour

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 December 2011 at 16:57:52 #804820

Hello,

I am planning to visit Switzerland in 2012 in the July or August. After doing lots of research i am getting lost and not able to finalize the main spots which i should visit during my 8 day trip. Please help me

1.Fly to zurich and go for city tour & Schaffhausen and Rhine Falls — Is there something worth seeing in Zurich city? Am i miising something?
    2. Go to Lucerne and visit chapel bridge, lion monument. (Am i missing something worth seeing here??)
    3. Mt. Titlis / Mount Pilatus (which place do you suggest for the time of year when i am traveling.
    4. Transfer to interlaken and go for a cruise in Lake Brienz
    4.Glacier 3000- Is the place worth investing one day with my time constraint and also during July/ august
    5.Schilthorn, see Trummelbach Falls and Jungfraujoch
    6.Zermatt– matterhorn(i am not sure what is there to see)
    7.Geneva city tour

I still want to visit mt mortiz and ANY CHOCOLATE FACTORY to see how swiss choc is made. I am not sure how i can do these two. Could you please suggest me?

Could you please suggest if i have chosen some places that may be overlooked and missed on some spots. The order in which i have arranged the tour is that fine or do i need to reshuffle it?
    In pictures mt titlis/pilatus/mortiz all looks same and i cant afford to go to everywhere. It would be really great if you help me to choose

thanks in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    1 January 2012 at 6:41:58 #834595

Hello suchisaha! It’s a challenge indeed to visit that many spots in one week only. You may have to skip a few things, in order to create a doable itinerary. For example: I think you could integrate both a chocolate factory and a visit to St. Moritz, but you’d have to make that choice at the expense of other day trips. There’s a chocolate factory in Flawil, called Shoggiland, which can be reached from Zurich and/or Lucerne, so you could plan this on day 1 or 2. During your stay in Interlaken, you may have to skip Glacier3000. It’s beautiful, but so are other viewing points and it’s a rather long trip. Instead, you could travel onto Chur/St. Moritz after your days in Interlaken. This will be a long trip though, and if you have to continue your traveling immediately the day after, there won’t be much time left to explore the towns or its surroundings. From St. Moritz, you can take the spectacular Glacier Express to Zermatt. Again, this will cost you a full day of traveling, and you won’t have time to explore Zermatt if you want to get to Geneva the next day.

In all, I’d skip Glacier3000 and St. Moritz if I were you, and concentrate on the Lucerne, Interlaken and Zermatt region only. That’s a lot for an 8 day stay already.

Have you discovered the Swiss timetable already? It will give you a good impression of the duration of the trips you’ve planned. It may be worth to take a look at the rail pass options too, as that will definitely save you money.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 January 2012 at 20:39:13 #834596

Thanks Annika for your suggestions. Could you please suggest me the following

1.During the month of july/ August which mountain peak will you choose between pilatus and titlis for travel.
    2. What do you think about Schilthorn– Trummelbach Falls and Jungfraujoch? Is it worth investing whole day there or i should go for St mortiz instead?
    3. Since you have asked me to skip glacier 3000, will you suggest any other excursions from interlaken??? Else, Can i skip interlaken and go for Chur instead as per your suggestion?
    4.If i am skipping interlaken then in which city i can go for the river cruise?
    5.From Zermatt, could you please suggest me the places to visit??? What do you feel about matterhorn?

Annika
    7103 posts
    2 January 2012 at 13:11:45 #834597

Hello Suchi Saha.
    1. In my opinion, both are beautiful. Pilatus is closer to Lucerne, so I’d pick that one. Titlis is higher though, and thus offers better chances of snow in the summer months.
    2. I’d prefer a stay in the immediate Interlaken region over a trip to St. Moritz in your case, as to reduce on traveling time. It’s quite a lot to visit Schilthorn, the Trummelbach falls and the Jungfraujoch all in one day, so I’d choose between either Schilthorn or Jungfraujoch if I were you.
    3. Lots of day trips from and near Interlaken can be found at the Bernese Oberland day trip overview.
    4. There aren’t really river cruises. Boat trips on lakes can be made though, from Zurich, Interlaken and Lucerne.
    5. You can’t visit the Matterhorn itself, but there are several viewing points from which you have a great view of the Matterhorn. Examples are the Gornergrat and Sunnegga.

• The thread ‘First Timer— Need help to finalize the tour’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.