First time in Switzerland from 5/24 – 5/28

• DRoss
    Participant
    10 posts
    21 April 2016 at 16:33:34 #808971

I will be travelling from Zurich to stay in Mureen from 5/24 to 5/28. I have not decided whether or not to purchase a train pass or any other pass. No itinerary is set. I just want to and relax in the area before heading to Italy, specifically Milan. My question is whether or not to get a Swiss pass or a Berner Oberland pass. I did some checking and right now it looks like the cost to get from Zurich to Mureen is about $80. To get from Mureen to Milan is about $110. Assuming I’m right, should I get a Swiss pass, flexi pass, individual tickets, or what. I know part of it depends on what I want to do, but I want flexibiity at cheapest cost. If it is advantageous to get a pass just for travelling and it allows me to get a discount for something else or to do something else, which pass should I get? Are there free walking or hiking trails in the Bernese Oberland area?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    21 April 2016 at 17:42:15 #851051

Hi DRoss,

The name of the village is Mürren. You’ve asked the same question in your other thread. The suggested pass does exactly what you want: it includes the trip to and from Mürren, plus discounts on other trips you may make during your stay. If you don’t want the discounts you can buy the Swiss Transfer Ticket instead of the Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi. Let me know if these options somehow do not fit your needs. In any case they’re cheaper than point to point tickets. If needed, you can do the math as explained here.

Additionally, you need a ticket from the Swiss border to Milan: myswissalps.com/ traintickets/italy/ price

All hiking trails are free, no worries about that! You would just pay for transportation to get to places.

More tips about saving money: myswissalps.com/ plantrip/doityourself/ savemoney.

DRoss
    Participant
    10 posts
    21 April 2016 at 18:31:42 #851052

Thanks for the link to my previous question and the correction of the speeling of Murren. I would need a detailed itineary in order to make a pass selection , but I would like to stay flexible. I should re think it, and plan a more detailed separate trip to Switzerland in the furture when I can take advatage of the passes.

Arno
    15482 posts
    22 April 2016 at 5:00:20 #851053

I see your point. Usually it works to have a rough idea about day trips and do your calculations based on that. If, in reality, you’ll do slightly different trips, it should not matter that much. Mountain trips depend on the weather anyway, so you can’t be 100% sure in any case. The suggested pass includes the part you’re sure about: the trip to Mürren and the trip from Mürren to the Italian border at a lower price than point to point tickets. The relatively small extra amount you’d pay for the Combi pass is to get discounts on whatever you’ll do while in Mürren. If you don’t think you’ll travel enough to make that worth it, the regular Swiss Transfer Ticket will work just fine. You can print it at home: http://www.swissrailways.com/ en (other purchase options are here).

Enjoy your stay!

DRoss
    Participant
    10 posts
    22 April 2016 at 15:00:21 #851054

What about the Swiss Half/Day pass? I did not see the Combi pass information in your link?

DRoss
    Participant
    10 posts
    22 April 2016 at 15:28:23 #851055

Never mind, I figured it out and made my purchase. Thanks for assistance.

• The thread ‘First time in Switzerland from 5/24 – 5/28’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.