Flexible 8 Nights – Advice need

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 February 2015 at 21:25:10 #806866

Hello!

My husband and I (30) are going to be travelling to the alps in late June. I have a basic outline of where I think we’d like to go but need some expert advice.

We had first considered renting a car when we arrive in Zurich and driving through the different mountain towns, but after reading a few posts here now disregard that initial idea. Murren looks very ideal to me, but not sure if we’d want to spend multiple nights there. Again, we haven’t been, just need some expert advice.

First thoughts are:

• 1-2 nights in Lucerne
    • 4 nights in Lauterbrunnen
    • 2 nights closer to Geneva

After the alps we are planning to go into the Rhone Valley in France so would like to end up on the western edge of the country.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    8 February 2015 at 9:53:05 #841704

Hi BirdieFraise,

Thank you for posting your plans here! Doing this by train is a good idea. A car is really not needed unless you’ve planned to visit very remote valleys. I would add another night to Lucerne. There is so much to see there; one full day is a minimum I would say. Lauterbrunnen is a wonderful base for the Jungfrau region. It is very small. If you’re looking for a more lively place you can consider Wengen, Grindelwald and Wilderswil. In the Geneva area, I suggest to consider Montreux. Basically you’re following the Golden Pass line from Lucerne to Montreux. A Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card helps you reduce train and cable car costs.

The links provide further information about local activities, hotel suggestions, etc. I hope this gets you started!

• The thread ‘Flexible 8 Nights – Advice need’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.