Footwear for Eiger trail and First to Bussalp

• offside
    Participant
    4 posts
    30 July 2016 at 22:02:40 #809784

Hi,

I am hiking in Jungfrau region and intend to do the Eiger trail Alpigen to Eigergletscher & the First to Bussalp walk . What footwear is best for these hikes either mountain /trail shoes or hiking boots

Offside

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 July 2016 at 23:46:37 #854704

Hi Offside-

Welcome to the forum. Nice hikes.

<<“What footwear is best for these hikes either mountain /trail shoes or hiking boots””>

Either one. I like boots. The Eiger trail has a lot of scree, and ankle support is very desirable. ( I like to hike it downhill, by the way. The stretch above Alpiglen is a bit of a climb at that altitude).

If you are young and athletic, with no concern for your ankles, sturdy shoes with lugged soles will likely be OK.

Ankle support is good. I’d make sure to have at least one “Spazierstock'” (hiking staff) per person.

There are Swiss websites with detailed information on this issue. Do you want the links?

Slowpoke

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    1 August 2016 at 6:11:49 #854705

Hi,

As Slowpoke suggests, either will do. My personal preference is for a full leather boot because of the ankle protection, durability and waterproofness, but the ones Scarpa make are pretty heavy. Hi Tec make a good light weight model. If you’re going to spend a lot of time in scree country, a boot with a rubber rand that covers the toe will save them from getting scuffed up. Avoid a model with lots of stitching, it’s a weak point that is easily abraided. A good trail shoe with goretex lining will keep your feet dryand if that’s what you’re used to, then go for it.

I agree with the hiking stock. Use one stock for balance and to help traverse difficult terrain. Two stocks are more for if you are carrying a pack and want to use more of your upperbody to help propel you along. I like the Wanderfreund by Leki. It has a T handle that is a lot easier on your hand on long descents.

Have Fun!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 August 2016 at 6:42:56 #854706

Hi Offside –

Forgot to mention –

The restaurant at Alpiglen is famous for its generous Käseschnitte, a tradition going back many years.

http://www.ursiswelt.ch/Wenge n-Grindelwald.htm

It is large enough that it can give you lots of fuel for the climb, but will add a bit of weight to counterbalance the fuel. 😉

Have not been there for a few years, but, apparently from the above link, it is still going strong….or was last year, anyway. Some nice photos in that link, by the way.

Slowpoke

offside
    Participant
    4 posts
    1 August 2016 at 20:23:44 #854707

Hi Alan, Slowpoke

Thanks for all your advice. It looks like boots for our 3rd walking holiday in the region

As we staying in Stechelberg for 5 days with a hire car all I have to do is decide whether to purchase

a 3 day Jungfrau pass or the Swiss half fare card. At this moment I favour the 1/2 price card

which will allow us to travel to Birg/Schiltorn with 50% discount and be valid for the 5 days of our visit

Offside

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 August 2016 at 20:39:31 #854708

Hi Offfside –

Will your travel costs in Switzerland add up to 240-250 CHF or thereabouts per person? Less than that and the HFC might not pay for itself.

Slowpoke

Annika
    7115 posts
    4 August 2016 at 7:01:23 #854709

Hi offside,

A rail pass nearly always makes sense, even if you’ll be using a car. The Bernese Oberland has many beautiful sights that can only be reached by public transport, as I’m sure you’ll know by now :-). There’s a 5 day Jungfrau Travel Pass as well (http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrautravelpass), but you’re right, it doesn’t include the ride up to Schilthorn. On the other hand, it provides great coverage for other trips in the Jungfrau area.

A Swiss Half Fare Card does provide discounts for the Schilthorn and allows you to enjoy other boat, train, bus or cable car trips outside of the Jungfrau region, if you’re up for something different or if weather forces you to travel to another region. Please find details and resellers through http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard.

If you’re in doubt, you’d best make a detailed list of plans do the math as explained here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass.

• The thread ‘Footwear for Eiger trail and First to Bussalp’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.