Free upgrade to 1st class Swiss Pass

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    14 March 2011 at 16:04:30 #832520

Hello deepanker. Yes, the (upgraded) Swiss Pass is valid on all routes you mention, including the Glacier Express. You only have to pay for an additional Glacier Express reservation fee, as seats have to be reserved for this train. The trip itself is for free though with a Swiss Pass. At our Swiss Pass page you’ll find a link to a map, showing the exact validity of the Swiss Pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2011 at 6:00:46 #832521

Hi,
    I will be purchasing the 8 day swiss saver pass with 1st class upgrade option. I have a few questions:
    1. When I buy online, I am asked for a promotion code to enter. What is that?
    2. How can I buy online pass for excursion to Titlis, in conjunction with my swiss pass and get relevant discount?
    3. Hows does the upgrade system work? I will be travelling Zurich – Lucerne – Lugano – Zurich in May. I may also travel other regional routes during my stay. To avail of the 1st class upgrade, do I need to confirm at the station before boarding or have the conductor help me once I have boarded. I have never traveled to Switzerland and am not sure of the railway processes there.

Arno
    15483 posts
    17 March 2011 at 7:07:56 #832522

Hi kanchan,

As for your questions:
    1. Sometimes you can get extra discounts when entering promotion codes. I am not aware of any valid promotion codes at this time, and you don’t need one for the free upgrade.
    2. If you want to go up the Titlis, you can use your Swiss Saver Pass to travel to Engelberg for free. In Engelberg, you walk to the cable car station where you purchase your Titlis ticket. You will get a 50% discount on that ticket if you show your Swiss Saver Pass. Depending on where you’re from, you may or may not be able to purchase a Titlis ticket online, along with the Swiss Saver Pass. I don’t think it’s possible for the countries listed in my post.
    3. You will receive a regular 1st class pass but pay less for it than you normally would. All you have to do is have it validated at a Swiss rail station before your first trip. After that, you can just board all trains for 8 days.

Enjoy your trips in the Swiss Alps!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2011 at 7:27:11 #832523

Thank you for your response. I am slightly confused on the 3rd point. Are you saying that even if I purchase Free upgrade to first class swiss pass, I will have to pay an additional amount to avail of the upgrade before my first travel at the Swiss station. Its not actually “free” in that sense. Am I correct?

If so, how much does it cost for an 8 day saver pass (Free upgrade to first class swiss pass)? Is it a one time amount for all travels I make over the 8 days or do I have an option to pay per travel for an upgrade on a particular trip and travel 2nd class on other?

Arno
    15483 posts
    17 March 2011 at 8:31:06 #832524

You’re welcome! Regarding the price: no, you don’t have to pay anything extra. This is how it works:

– You click the link of your country of residence in my first post, e.g. India.
    – You add the product of choice to your cart, e.g. the 1st class 8 day Swiss Saver Pass for 2 adults. This would cost ₨ 30034, which is the price you would normally pay for the 2nd class 8 day Swiss Saver Pass for 2 adults.
    – You will receive your 1st class pass through the mail (not e-mail).
    – Before boarding your first train in Switzerland, ask the personnel at any Swiss station to validate your pass. This is just a stamp and it costs nothing.
    – Then you can board any train you like and sit in 1st class. No other actions are required on the other days.

There are no extra fees. It works exactly the same as a regular Swiss Pass.

I hope it’s clear now. Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2011 at 8:51:16 #832525

Thanks! That makes things clear 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2011 at 13:12:04 #832526

Hi,

We are from India. My friend and I with our families (4 adults and 3 children aged 12, 8 and 8) are planning to visit Switzerland in the period 27th Jun to 6th July 2011. Since the free upgrade of the Swiss travel pass to 1st class is being offered only upto travel dates Jun 30th, Does this mean that we will not be able to avail free upgrade during the period 1st to 6th July 2011

Arno
    15483 posts
    22 March 2011 at 14:21:35 #832527

Hi sanhan,

You can indeed not use this upgrade from July 1 to 6. The last travel day is June 30.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 April 2011 at 12:28:00 #832528

Hi…
    I am traveling to Switzerland with my family in mid June for 7 days. There will be 4 of us. I am planning to purchase the free upgrade to 1st class Swiss (Saver) Pass. Quoted from Raileurope:

“The Swiss Pass offers unlimited train travel on the national rail network of Switzerland and discounted rate or special offers.
    Seating is subject to availability and that there is no guarantee that the “Swiss Pass free upgrade” holders can always travel in 1st class. Scenic seats are limited, passengers may need to make reservations in advance.”

Here is my concern, if say that I have purchased the upgrade pass, can I still make seats reservation?

Arno
    15483 posts
    2 April 2011 at 12:50:33 #832529

Hi krustasia,

That won’t be a problem. The quote you posted holds true for any pass. The upgraded Swiss Pass is not treated any differently than a regular 1st class Swiss Pass. You’ll be able to book any train that has seats left (which will be most of them).

Have beautiful train trips!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2011 at 6:51:49 #832530

thanks for the update.i have plenty of questions so putting them in order of priority :

1. i together with my husband and two children ( age 5 and age 8 ) are travelling to switzerland in the second week of may, 2011…so i guess it makes sense to purchase the rail europe offer. all i wanted to know is that is it cheaper to buy directly from a station in switzerland rather than online ?

2. now that you know of the number of people we shall be, should i buy a swiss super saver pass and then ask for a family card for both my kids at the first station we go to ?

3. we plan to reach zurich from london and then take a train to interlaken which shall be our base in switzerland…how long does it take by train to interlaken from zurich and is the train station in zurich close to the airport ?

look forward to a quick response. thanks a ton.

Nandini

Arno
    15483 posts
    5 April 2011 at 14:38:58 #832531

Hello Nandini,

Welcome to the forum! As for your questions:

1. The offer is only available online, through the links in my original post. You can’t purchase it in Switzerland. Regarding regular, non promotional passes: you can compare online and local prices at the right side of the Swiss Pass page.
    2. You would need a Swiss Saver Pass for 2 adults. The Swiss Family Card allows your children to travel along for free. It can indeed be obtained at any manned Swiss rail station upon showing your rail passes and passports.
    3. It takes a bit more than 2 hours, but you can best check the timetable. The airport has a rail station called Zurich Flughafen.

Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2011 at 10:36:36 #832532

Hi ,

We are planning for a trip to switzerland on 22nd APril for 8 days . We stay in UK .

Is the offer available for resident of UK . I tried by selecting 1st class and 2nd class 8 day pass , however the cost is not the same .

Kindly let me know how I can avail this offer .

Regards,
    Megha

Arno
    15483 posts
    12 April 2011 at 12:39:50 #832533

Hi Megha,

I’m sorry but the upgrade is currently only offered to travelers from these countries:

Argentina
    Australia
    Brazil
    Hong Kong
    India
    Israel
    Japan
    New Zealand
    Singapore
    South Africa

Viewing 14 posts - 21 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • The thread ‘Free upgrade to 1st class Swiss Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.