Hiking from Grindelwald to First/Bachalpsee

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2015 at 16:32:53 #807485

Hi, what is the best way to get to Lake Bachalpsee from Grindelwald.It is said to take the Gondola to First and hike up to Lake Bachalpsee. However, is it possible to hike up straight to the Lake Bachalpsee? and how long does it take?

From Lake Bachalpsee is it possible to hike down to Grindelwald? What is the best route?

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 June 2015 at 1:04:48 #844108

Hi Farisha –

The map in this link may help you get a sense of the topography.

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&X=1666 99.71&Y=647507.09&zoom =6&lang=en&bgLayer=ch. swisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe

You will note that the climb from Grindelwald to First is about 1100 meters. Pretty steep.

I am not a very good hiker, especially uphill at high altitude, so that would take me substantially more than 2 hours, and I’d be out of breath about half way up. 😉

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 June 2015 at 4:59:06 #844109

Hi Slowpoke! Thanks for your advice. we are not really good hikers either 🙂

Can we choose an option to go up by gondola and then return by hiking down? will it be easier then to hike downhill? or should we go to and back by gondola? What would you suggest?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 June 2015 at 7:45:47 #844110

<<“Can we choose an option to go up by gondola and then return by hiking down? will it be easier then to hike downhill? or should we go to and back by gondola? What would you suggest”>>I think that walking 1000 meters down will ruin your knees and leg muscles for 2-3 days unless you are used to steep down hill hiking. Up is actually easier on your legs than down.

You might plan use the lift in both directions, and take a look at the topography on the way up. If you really want to try it after you have looked, then think about the fitness of your leg muscles.

Last lift down is at 1700 hours.

Arno
    15471 posts
    30 June 2015 at 13:52:33 #844111

You may want to consider to hike to or from the mid station Bort (700 vertical meters below the Bachalpsee).

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    4 July 2015 at 5:52:59 #844112

If you are not really good hikers then I think you may find the First to Bachalpsee hike a good outing. There is some uphill involved in the first stretch

After your return to First you may choose to walk the rather flat panorama trail from there to Grosse Scheidegg. The advantage of doing this is that you can then take the positively stunning bus ride down from there to Grindelwald. Very different views than those riding up on the gondola from Grindelwald to First. Highly recommended.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 July 2015 at 7:03:28 #844113

Looks like the last bus down from Grosse Scheidegg (in the Summer) is at 1743.

Jayjay
    Participant
    15 posts
    4 July 2015 at 18:17:46 #844114

I’ve hiked from the top of the First to Bachalpsee many times, it’s a lovely walk, but for me would be far too much from the bottom at Grindealwald. To extend the walk I usually walk on from the lake to Waldspitz. At this point there are several options, either to wait for the bus back down to Grindelwald, or I’ve walked through the alpine garden (quite steep) and back across to Bort where I’ve got on the gondola back down to the bottom.

Annika
    7104 posts
    4 July 2015 at 19:23:25 #844115

Welcome to MySwissAlps, Jayjay! And thanks for your valuable tips.

• The thread ‘Hiking from Grindelwald to First/Bachalpsee’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.