from Interlaken to chur via sustenpass and anderma

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 May 2014 at 9:15:48 #806347

Hallo,

We plan to drive from Interlaken to chur in 2 days.

The first day 20.06 (Friday) driving from Interlaken via sustenpass and Oberlappass to curaglia.

In The second day driving from curaglia to church.

We want to drive slowly and doing stops in a nice locations.

I have coupel of questions:

1. How much time does the driving takes? I checked in the route.search, does the site taking in account the mountain driving?

2. There is s a traffic at sutarday morning from curagila to chur ? We need to be in chur until 11:00.

3. Can I drive the passes with any kind of car ? What is the minimum required engine for drive the pass without heard the engine screem out ? If you can recommend on group car it will be greait.

4. Can you recommend on good stopping point in the way?

Thanks in advance!!!

Amit.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    9 May 2014 at 9:45:51 #839880

Hi Amit, thanks for your post!

I suppose you mean you will drive to Chur the second day?

1. Did you use route.search.ch to check traveling times? They estimate 1h33 from Interlaken to Curaglia, which is quite optimistic. I frequently use maps.google.ch and even then add a little more time to be sure. They come up with 2h06, which is closer to the truth I would say (assuming no stops and a driver who is used to drive in the mountains).

2. Traffic is no issue, unless there are road works or accidents (see our traffic info page).

3. Any car is fine, unless you have a tiny one with a 1.0 liter engine or so and travel with 4 adults and luggage. I suppose you would still manage to do the trip but it’s not pleasant to drive in a car that can barely make it. See here for driving advice.

4. There are lots of nice spots along the passes, so just stop where it looks good to you. Apart from that, you could drive via the Northern shore of Lake Brienz, instead of the Southern one with lots of tunnels. It will take an additional 20 minutes or so as you will pass through villages. Brienz is nice. You will also pass the Aare gorge and Reichenbach Fall near Meiringen. Just before Andermatt there’s a restaurant next to the Devil’s Bridge. On day 2, Disentis and Flims and their cable cars are nice. Since you have plenty of time you could do a detour via Thusis, Tiefencastel and Lenzerheide for example (lots of castles on this route), or into one of the side valleys.

Note that passes are closed in Winter, and one never knows in advance when ‘Winter’ is over at such altitudes. The Oberalp Pass is already open, but the Susten Pass is still closed, and won’t open until early to mid June. But that’s an estimate. It will probably be fine, but theoretically it can still be closed when you’re there. So check before you leave Interlaken, e.g. on the traffic info page.

Drive safe and enjoy the trip!

• The thread ‘from Interlaken to chur via sustenpass and anderma’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.