From Leutschachhütte SAC to Spannorthütte SAC

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2012 at 2:52:09 #805238

Hi Guys,

in early June a friend and i will be hiking across Switzerland, as part of this we will be taking a hiking path up to Leutschachhütte SAC and from there the hiking trail ends and we’re left with the step accents to Krönten, Chli/Gross Spannort and Schlossberg. My question is if there’s a reasonable (hard walking, minor climbing but NOT overly dangerous) route from Leutschachhütte SAC in the valley to the east to Spannorthütte SAC in the valley to the west which is east of Engelberg?

I ask as from satellite imagery shows some rather large ridges to tackle and possibly glacial ice between the aforementioned mounts? We will have suitable clothing/weather protection and walking crampons/poles but no climbing gear (no helmets).

Any tips most appreciated.

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    9 May 2012 at 8:22:58 #836000

Hi mmdanmm. Unfortunately, I’m not well acquainted with this area. I do know that both huts and their surroundings are described at the Swiss Alpine Club website, but you may have discovered that one already. Contact information for the huts can be found there too, and I think asking the owners of the Leutschachhütte and the Spannorthütte could help you out. Please note that you’ll find quite some snow up in the mountains in early June. Trails at such altitude may still be inaccessible or simply too dangerous. Catering months for these huts are July, August en September (sometimes June, but that depends on current circumstances), and that alone might be a reason to change your plans. Again, the mountain hut owners could provide you with more information. You’re welcome to post back here once you have an answer!

I do hope this gets you started. Kind regards,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2012 at 11:40:56 #836001

Thanks Annika,

I’ve carefully considered the walk all looks fine, the main concern was the stretch towards the left of the mount here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrigu/482847918/lightbox/

past that point its downhill scree towards a warm valley, so fine and safe. Looking at the composition of the ice (this picture is typical for June) it seems the upper reaches are more compact and less ‘crevaced’ than further down, this said i know there’s the potential for crevasses to hide so i think a careful/slow walk with crampons and walking poles will be OK.

I know conditions are changable but based on the photo do you have any thoughts on route/safety?

Thanks.

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 May 2012 at 14:04:59 #836002

Hi mmdanmm,

It’s hard to say from the picture. It looks fine at first glance, but it’s tricky to base your trip on just that. An uncrossable stretch of just 100 m. could be enough to force you to turn around. You may want to contact forum member SwissMountainLeader. He’s an expert and might be able to provide further tips. Asking the local tourist office may help as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2012 at 16:39:12 #836003

A “careful/slow walk with crampons and walking poles” won’t stop you crashing through a snow bridge into a crevasse though. Careful in this context means you’re wearing harnesses, roped together and have the equipment and skill to rig a self rescue like a z-pulley or similar. The exceptions to this would be marked and secured routes like those at Zermatt, the Jungfrau and some routes near a couple of huts.

The Leutschachhütte website (http://www.leutschach.ch/wanderungen.html) makes it pretty clear you need equipment and training. Roughly translated it says “This tour takes you through mountain glaciers. Only with proper equipment and experience!”

I wouldn’t attempt that route without being roped up. My strongest possible advice is not to do it without that equipment and experience to use it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2012 at 11:21:17 #836004

Thanks guys,

s there somewhere in the Jungfrau/Uri region where I can get crevase rescue training? A Google search hasn’t turned up anything.

Thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2012 at 15:16:29 #836005

You might try Grindelwald Sports http://www.grindelwaldsports.ch/en/

Learning to rig self rescue systems is reasonably quick, developing the skill to pick a good route can take a long time of course. Even, the public course for the basics is 4 days with Grindelwald Sports.

• The thread ‘From Leutschachhütte SAC to Spannorthütte SAC’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.