Funicular fr Beatenbucht to Beatenberg

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2014 at 8:46:21 #806367

Hi

I would like to check if anybody knows whether the funicular from Beatenbucht Boat Station to Beatenberg is free with the Swiss Pass or Swiss Flexi Pass (if I use it on the free day)?

Also, if I catch the 1410hrs boat ride from Interlaken West boat station and drop off at Beatenbucht at 1458hrs, would I have time to take the funicular to Beatenberg, followed by the cable car to Niederhorn before coming down the same way to catch the next boat to Thun and then take a train back to Interlaken OST, reaching before 1830hrs? Based on the timetable, it doesn’t seem feasible if the boat timing is on an hourly basis but I am not sure if I have misunderstood anything.

If that is not possible, then perhaps I may have time just to take the funicular from Beantenbucht to Beatenberg and back to the boat station by 1558 hrs to continue my cruise to Thun and back to Interlaken OST by 1830hrs?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    18 May 2014 at 12:57:48 #839967

Hi geniewho,

Yes it’s free. To check details like this, you can download the Swiss Pass map.

Your plan is tight. You didn’t include your travel date, but I did a quick check for a random day in June and it’s not possible then. But even if it would be possible, you wouldn’t have enough time to enjoy the views from the Niederhorn. It’s too much to fit into a few hours.

Why don’t you go up to the Niederhorn like planned, then down to Beatenberg by gondola and back to Interlaken by bus? Still a nice trip, and doable in the time you have. I would not skip the Niederhorn, as the views up there are great (if the skies are clear). Links to boat timetables are on our Lake Thun page: http://www.myswissalps.com/boatlakethun

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2014 at 14:42:06 #839968

Hi Arno

Thanks for the suggestion!

Would the Niederhorn be more likely to be obscured by clouds if we are there in the afternoon versus a morning trip? Where and how do I check the weather before starting my boat trip from Interlaken West?

I went to see the options for bus from Beatenberg to Interlaken and saw there are 2 routes. One via Bus 101 and the other via a low-floor bus from Beatenbucht. Both routes take the same amount of time. Is there any difference in sights between the 2 routes, i.e. is one more scenic than the other?

Thanks!

Arno
    15483 posts
    18 May 2014 at 15:16:12 #839969

Hi geniewho,

There are more clouds in the afternoon, but that’s just an average. Watch the weather forecast that morning, and look around to the mountains when you’re on the lake and in Interlaken.

Both bus routes are not too bad, but I would prefer the one from Beatenberg as that is up on the mountain. If you have time left you can get off at the bus stop ‘Unterseen, Luegibrüggli’ and enjoy a drink or early dinner along with the view from the terrace of the restaurant there (closed on Wednesdays).

• The thread ‘Funicular fr Beatenbucht to Beatenberg’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.