Geneva Airport to Chamonix

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2014 at 2:46:46 #806502

Hello all! I will be arriving at Geneva Airport but need to proceed to Chamonix. What is the best way to get to Chamonix? I am reading that public buses leave out of Geneva center and only “special” shuttle buses are available at the airport.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    11 July 2014 at 8:07:36 #840579

Hi aoshio514,

There are several options. You can travel by train as suggested by the timetable. It’s not the quickest way to get there, but it’s a beautiful route. Also there are private bus transfers, which will work if you’re with a group. One of the companies offering this is geneva-chamonix-transfers.com. And there’s a scheduled bus service operated by SAT.

jackdebear
    Participant
    82 posts
    11 July 2014 at 13:11:17 #840580

I believe there are 3 private buses leaving from the airport. They like you to reserve and if you can commit to a day/time it’s a good idea. However, if it’s not a busy busy day for them, and you are willing to wait, you will more than likely get a seat on one. They will drop you at your hotel. By the way local buses in the Chamonix valley are free for tourists. At least they were when I was there. Your hotel should give you a pass for 2 days but in practice the drivers just recognize tourist and don’t ask for it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2014 at 13:18:08 #840581

Thanks. I fear that it will take a long time for the shuttle buses to go around and drop people off at their specific hotels, etc. I arrive in Geneva at 10 am and the SAT bus schedule is 12:15 PM. This will arrive at Chamonix train station at 2PM. Trip costs 32.50 CHF. The bus has many stops along the way.

For private shuttle buses, I think the price is almost the same. However it will bring you to your actual destination.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2014 at 13:21:54 #840582

Where are the shuttle buses and SAT bus located? Are they easily accessible from the arrivals area?

jackdebear
    Participant
    82 posts
    11 July 2014 at 13:35:52 #840583

I couldn’t say exactly where the buses leave from in the airport but it’s not a huge place and I’m sure you wouldn’t have trouble finding them. I’m a borderline moron and I managed it. The only company name I can recall is Alpybus. Chamonix isn’t huge either. My hotel was one of the first they came to but I can’t see it taking a terribly long time to make the rounds. The buses carry about a dozen people. Many traveling in pairs and groups.

• The thread ‘Geneva Airport to Chamonix’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.