Geneva to Lucerne by Golden Pass train in May

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2016 at 17:25:08 #808517

My wife and I wish to travel from Geneva to Lucerne either by train this May. We intend to take the Golden Pass train to enjoy the scenery.

Our questions are:

1. What time should we depart from Geneva train station and head to Montreux to catch the panoramic Golden Pass trains and arrive at Lucerne before sunset in the month of May.

2. We understand that there will be a change of train at Zweisimmen and Interlaken Ost. Will it be difficult as we are carrying our luggage/trolley bags etc.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Leng Woi

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    1 March 2016 at 18:02:12 #848914

Hello Leng Woi, welcome to MySwissAlps,

1. All trains can be found in the timetable, and this page might be helpful as well. If you need further help, please let us know your exact date and preferred time.

2. The changes are easy and many people will make the same change. There’s personnel to ask for help. You can have your luggage shipped to Lucerne if you prefer to travel light. Please see here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2016 at 4:18:04 #848915

Dear Arno,

We would be travelling on the 7 May 2016 from Geneva to Lucerne. Our preferred time is to depart Geneva train station at 10:30.

Warm regards,

Leng Woi

Arno
    15471 posts
    2 March 2016 at 8:58:45 #848916

Hi Leng Woi,

In that case your schedule would look like this:

• Geneva 10:30
    • Montreux 11:37
    • Montreux 11:44 (Golden Pass Panoramic train)
    • Zweisimmen 13:32
    • Zweisimmen 13:38
    • Interlaken Ost 14:49
    • Interlaken Ost 15:04
    • Lucerne 16:55

Further details are in the timetable.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2016 at 14:06:45 #848917

Arno

Would this time table work for us too – we fly from Barcelona to Geneva. Flight arrives at Geneva Airport around 9.00. We have 3 night stay in Interlaken so we hope to take Golden Pass Panoramic to Interlaken. If you can detail the schedule, I would really appreciate it. I tried looking at the time table but it is confusing 🙁 I guess we are not used to trains and time tables here so all the help would be invaluable.

Also, please advise if we can get the Swiss pass or Half pass at Genva airport train station?

Thanks

Arno
    15471 posts
    4 March 2016 at 17:52:54 #848918

Hi mali1626,

The first train in the schedule actually departs from the airport train station at 10:21, so the whole schedule could apply to you as well provided you’ll make it in time to catch that train. You may want to double check for your date though. Just fill out each leg in the above mentioned timetable. Let me know if you need more help.

You can get the Swiss Travel Pass (Swiss Pass is for Swiss citizens only) and the Swiss Half Fare Card at the airport train station. But I would strongly recommend to simply buy it online so you can board your train straight away rather than spending time at a ticket office. You may even miss the train because of that. If you order your pass through http://www.swissrailways.com/ en they will e-mail it within a few days so you can print it at home. Pick the delivery option called “Online Ticket”. Further purchase options are listed here:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2016 at 15:15:34 #848919

Arno

Need another piece of advice on swiss travel pass (STP) (4days) vs swiss half pass??

My Itnerary:

July 22 – reach Geneva early morning . Go to Lauterbraunnen; stay there 3 nights. We want to explore a day in mountains visiting Wengen, Murren, taking cable cars etc. May be Jungfrau. We also want to do a day trip to Lucerne from BO

July 25 – check out Lauterbraunnen, go to Mount Titlis (hold luggage at the train station) and reach Zurich by late evening or night. stay in Zurich for 2 nights. Fly out of Zurich on 27th.

I want to take Golden pass from Geneva to IL and Lucern Interlaken express for that day trip. We will be doing cable cars etc that may be 50% (also mount titlis) if I buy STP and 1 day zurich pass for the day in Zurich.

Or should we get half pass? with so little time, we won’t be doing any museums (i think) which are included in the STP. Can you pretty please advice whats the best and more economical yet practical option.

thanks

Maria

Arno
    15471 posts
    14 March 2016 at 15:45:26 #848920

Hi Maria,

I assume you mean Swiss Travel Pass versus Swiss Half Fare Card, right? A 4-day Swiss Travel Pass for July 22 to 25 and a ZurichCARD for Zurich might be a good combination. This is the most convenient option. Whether a Swiss Half Fare Card works out cheaper can be calculated as explained here. That’s the only way to know for sure I’m afraid.

Please post further questions about this in a new thread since this is no longer about the Golden Pass line. Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2016 at 15:56:57 #848921

Yes that’s what I meant.

Thank for the quick reply. I will post any thing new on a different thread. If there is an existing forum regarding Swiss pass, can I ask questions on that one or do I still start a new thread?

thanks

Arno
    15471 posts
    14 March 2016 at 16:11:13 #848922

Hi Maria,

You can start a new thread in the rail forum.

• The thread ‘Geneva to Lucerne by Golden Pass train in May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.