Geneva to Lucerne by Golden Pass trains

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2016 at 7:56:47 #808572

Hi,

We will be going from Geneve to Luzern by train and would like to take a “regular” train on the Golden Pass train route. We need to be in Luzern by 4p at the latest. Please assist with the times we need to catch the various trains. thank you!

Claire

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    9 March 2016 at 8:05:14 #849203

Hi Claire, welcome to MySwissAlps,

Train schedules may differ according to date and time. You can find all details in the timetable and our Golden Pass page. This thread is also useful: myswissalps.com/forum/ topic/geneva-to-lucerne-by-golen-pass-train-in-may.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2016 at 8:26:38 #849204

thanks Arno,

I have already checked these resources and places you sent. I am unclear how to use the timetable for the times. There are no details or options when I enter Geneva to Lucerne in the table and it doesn’t give the right info when I enter Golden Pass. What do you suggest I enter in the table and how do you know whether it’s a Golden Pass train or regular?

Claire

Arno
    15471 posts
    9 March 2016 at 8:49:59 #849205

Hi Claire,

The timetable shows the quickest option to get from A to B by default. The Golden Pass route is a detour one would normally not take to quickly get from Geneva to Lucerne, but only to enjoy the scenery. So you either look for each leg individually (Geneva – Montreux, Montreux – Interlaken, etc)., or you force the timetable to use the preferred route by entering via-stations (Montreux , Zweisimmen, Meiringen). It’s explained on the Golden Pass page I linked to. Click “Route” and look under “Timetable”.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2016 at 9:31:45 #849206

Thanks for all your help Arno,

our plans got a little off due to not being able to book a CERN tour on the day we planned. Is it possible to take part of the scenic route from Montreux to Zweisimmen and then take a faster train straight to Lucerne? and how long might that take? we will have the CERN tour 11a -1p in Geneva and then try to go to Montreal -Zwiesimmen – Lucerne. Hoping to get there before 8p. I really tried my best to enter those stops in the timetable but for some reason it wouldn’t work for me. thank you.

CN

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 March 2016 at 10:08:58 #849207

You’re welcome CN! Once you have reached Zweisimmen you can best continue on the Golden Pass line to Spiez. From there you can reach Lucerne via Bern (quicker) or continue on the Golden Pass line. The second option takes about 45 minutes more, depending on the exact time of the day. If you have that time I would say it’s worth it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2016 at 9:30:08 #849208

Hi Arno,

Thanks for that tip! I finally figured out how to work the timetable correctly. One of the routes I’m considering has 4 platform changes! Is it very easy to change platforms, we will have our luggage with us. I’m also confused by the “choic of ticket” showing various stops, how do you select which one? Also on the route, there will be a Golden Pass train with VIP seat possibility. How do you find out if they are available and how do you reserve those? I didn’t see a way to select them as I clicked through the booking site.

CN

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 March 2016 at 11:34:37 #849209

Will you travel with a rail pass, and which one?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2016 at 3:31:55 #849210

Hi Arno,

It looks like we will get a 3 day Swiss travel pass, since we plan to go from Geneva to Lucerne (part or all Scenic route), Seelisberg to Mt. Pilates and Lucerne to Basel, then out of Switzerland. I was trying today to work out the Pilatus visit. One of the routes I chose says “For the desired stretch, there are no connections available in the ticket shop”. What does that mean, sold out? Thanks as always for your help.

CN

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2016 at 9:03:46 #849211

I had a similar query

i am reaching Geneva from Paris on 8th June by early morning TGV Lyria train and leaving Switzerland on 14th June afternoon from Zurich.

We plan to spend 1 night at Geneva , two nights each at Lucerne and Interlaken and then one night and one and half day at Zurich.

On 9th June we want to take Golden Pass train to Lucerne. For this do we need to go to Montreux or it can be done from Geneva.

Also only entry and exit from Switzerland is fixed. What is the best intinery for doing most with minimum charge.

Thanks a ton in advance for help

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2016 at 9:14:41 #849212

Hi Saumya12,

I’m just a fellow traveler, Responding to the Golden Pass train question: It’s my understanding that the Golden Pass train starts in Montreux. You have to train from Geneva to Montreux first, about an hour ride. Happy travels!

Annika
    7104 posts
    20 March 2016 at 11:45:12 #849213

Hi Saumya12,

As CN rightly points out, the Golden Pass route starts in Montreux so you’ll have to get there first. There are lots of options for your itinerary. You’d best start off by checking the “Activities” sections at our pages on Geneva, Interlaken, Lucerne and Zurich. Our planning and budget tips may be of help too. If you have follow-up questions that aren’t closely related to CN’s original questions on the Golden Pass, would you please post them in a new topic? Thanks :-)!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2016 at 16:23:36 #849214

Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2016 at 19:18:18 #849215

Hi again,

I think maybe my post on March 20 330am was not seen, may someone please assist, I still have the question. Thank you!

CN

Annika
    7104 posts
    21 March 2016 at 7:36:08 #849216

Hi CN,

Don’t worry, such routes don’t sell out. I can’t trace the exact comment you saw, as I don’t know what date and travel time you’ve entered and what exact route you tried. It may just be a temporary problem in the timetable. Alternatively, you may have tried to find the cogwheel ride from Alpnachstad to Pilatus, but that won’t be available until mid or late May. If you entered an earlier date, that might well be the problem.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2016 at 8:22:41 #849217

Hi Annika,

I think Pilatus is now taken care of, whew! Back to Golden Pass Geneva to Luzern. One of the routes on the timetable I’m considering has 4 platform changes! Is it very easy to change platforms, we will have our luggage with us. I’m also confused by the “choice of ticket” showing two different sets of stops, how do you select which one? Also on the route, there will be a Golden Pass train with VIP seat possibility. How do you find out if the VIP seats are available and how do you reserve those? I didn’t see a way to select them as I clicked through the booking site and on the Golden Pass section.

CN

Arno
    15471 posts
    21 March 2016 at 11:03:09 #849218

Hi CN,

3 – 4 changes are normal on this route. They’re easy if you can handle your own luggage, but you can send the luggage ahead too if you wish: myswissalps.com/ train/practical/ luggage.

Apart from the VIP seats between Montreux and Zweisimmen there’s nothing to book in advance. It’s all covered in your Swiss Travel Pass. Please see myswissalps.com/ goldenpass/tickets for how to book the VIP seats, specifically the link under “More on other websites”. The seats are the more expensive ones in the head of the train.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 March 2016 at 20:38:45 #849219

Hi CN-

If you work the timetable,as you learned recently, you can find out which track numbers the trains arrive and depart on. For popular routes, there is often an arrangement where all you have to do is cross from one side of a platform to another.

Maps of major stations are available at the SBB web site:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/am-bahnhof.html#?lang=en&baselayer=ch.s bb.netzkarte.relief&zo om=1&x=665550.00&y=183 192.49

Hope this helps.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Geneva to Lucerne by Golden Pass trains’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.