Geneva to Matterhorn in one day

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2017 at 21:02:07 #810686

Hi,

I am planning a day trip from GVA to Zermatt to Matterhorn. I am here just for one day so I will not be travelling elsewhere. Can you please advise on:

1) Which rail pass I should take for this trip? Or should I book individual tickets?

2) How do you reach Matterhorn from Zermatt and how much time I should keep for Zermatt to Matterhorn trip?

3) Will taking any rail pass for a day benefit me in rail fares and cable car fares?

Thanks,

Ravi

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    29 January 2017 at 10:36:39 #858525

Hi Ravi, welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can’t actually visit the Matterhorn, but you can enjoy the views from vantage points such as Gornergrat (recommended) or Klein Matterhorn. It’s a very long ride from Geneva though, especially if you want to return the same day. A single journey to Zermatt takes about 3h45 and you’ll have to add some time to get up in the ountains. The timetable provides insight in traveling times. If you’re looking for a scenic alternative that’s closer to Geneva, you may want to look into Montreux and Rochers-de-Naye.

Whether or not you need a rail pass depends on your finalized travel plans. If you do intend to visit Zermatt and take a mountain train or gondola there, a Swiss Half Fare Card will help you save money. For a day trip to Rochers-de-Naye, regular tickets will do. Here’s how to calculate your options: myswissalps.com/train/ ticketspasses/practica l/chooserailpass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2017 at 20:38:26 #858526

Thanks for your reply. I think I will do the GVA – Montreux – Rochers-de-Naye day trip. Can you please suggest if I can/should visit Laussane on the way or directly go to Montreux and then Rochers-de-Naye?

What will be the estimated travel time for GVA – Montreux – Rochers-de-Naye and GVA – Laussane – Montreux – Rochers-de-Naye?

Should i still go with regular tickets for this day trip?

My visit is next week so what will be the weather like in GVA region (I know its freezing but what about snow)? Will there be snow at Rochers-de-Naye?

Arno
    15471 posts
    30 January 2017 at 9:14:31 #858527

Hi Ravi,

Yes, you can sure visit Lausanne en route. You can do a one hour city walk there, for example. Travel times can be found in the timetable Annika gave you.

As for tickets: see Annika’s suggestions please. A Supersaver ticket may save you some money in the morning if you are sure about your departure time from Geneva.

It will most likely not be freezing in towns like Geneva and Lausanne, but it will be higher up in the mountains. There will be snow on Rochers-de-Naye.

Have fun!

• The thread ‘Geneva to Matterhorn in one day’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.