Geneva, Zermatt, Chur, Lucerne then Basel

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2016 at 6:19:39 #809317

We are visiting Switzerland on holiday for the first time in June to celebrate our 45th Wedding Anniversary ( on 19th June). My wife ,Joan, has mobility problems and can only walk short distances. We will have a small foldable mobility scooter with us.

We are arriving in Geneva on 16th June and leaving from Basel on 21st June.

We have planned most of our Itinerary but need to ask your advise on some things.

Our Itinerary is:-

Day 1. Thursday.Arrive in Geneva from Liverpool at approx 1630 on 16th June. Booked into East West hotel in Geneva for 1 night.

Day 2. Friday. 1030 Train from Geneva to Zermatt arriving approx 1415. Booked into Alpenhotel Fleur De Zematt for 2 nights in a Junior suite with a balcony looking towards the Matterhorn.

Day 3. Saturday. Free day in Zermatt.

Day 4. Sunday.Our 45th Wedding Anniversary. Board 0952 Glacier Express from Zermatt to Chur. We have made the booking for the Glacier Express. Booked into Hotel Stern in Chur for 1 night.

Day 5. Monday. Travel from Chur to Lucerne via 1600 Ferry from Fluelen to Lucerne. Booked into Hotel Magik in Honeymoon Suite overlooking Chapel Bridge.

Day 6. Tuesday. Travel from Lucerne to Basel for a flight home to Liverpool at 2140.

We have purchased 2 x 4 day Swiss Pass Flex. We will activate them for days 2, 4, 5 & 6.

The questions I have are,

1, Is there a free train pass into Geneva when arriving at Geneva airport. If so where do I collect and activate it.

2, Advise on places to visit in Geneva in a limited time.

3, Can I book seats on trains in advance. Do I need to seek help for boarding train with mobility scooter. Who do I contact for this help?

4, Advise on places to visit in Zermatt. Is Gornergrat disabled friendly? (We may visit Gornergrat on Day 2 to receive half price with Swiss Travel Pass Flex).

5, Advise on places to visit in Chur.

6, Advise on travel from Chur to Fluen. Which would be most scenic, Bus to Bellinzona then train to Fluelen or train to Disentis/Muster then Goschenen then Fluelen?

7, We would like to travel 1st Class on Paddlesteamer from Fluelen to Lucerne. Is the 1600 ferry on 20th June a paddle steamer? How do I upgrade from our 2nd class Swiss Pass Flexi to First class with meal? What is the cost of the upgrade? How do I book this upgrade in advance?

8, Advise on places to visit in Lucerne. (possible visit to Pilatus, is this disabled friendly and how long would a round trip back to Lucerne take).

9, What are the “must see ” places in Basel before going to Basel Airport.

Thanking you for your advise in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    1 June 2016 at 16:55:29 #852503

Hello Peter, welcome to MySwissAlps. Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary!

1. You’ll get a free travel pass from your hotel. Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/ge neva/travel. Your hotel booking confirmation might qualify as a ticket to reach the hotel, but you’d better ask them. There used to be free tickets available in the arrival hall of the airport, but as far as I know that’s not the case anymore.

3. You do not need to book seats, apart from the Glacier Express. But you may need help to get the scooter on board of the trains. Most cable cars and mountain trains are accessible by wheelchair, but you would have to check their websites for details. Please see:

6. Both routes are very nice. I’d pick the bus to Bellinzona in your case as you’ve already seen lots of the other route while traveling in the Glacier Express.

7. That should indeed be a steam boat. No guarantees though. You can buy the upgrade ticket on board, but if you’d like to arrange it beforehand you can ask at any staffed train station. They may sell that.

Please see our town pages for tips about what to do and see in the various towns.

• The thread ‘Geneva, Zermatt, Chur, Lucerne then Basel’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.