Getting Alps from paris

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 January 2012 at 21:58:43 #804824

I would like to travel to Alps from Paris on March 7, 2012. What best and cheapest route should I take? Is it possible for me to leave Paris in the morning then spend few hours in Alps and back to Paris in the evening ?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    5 January 2012 at 5:59:21 #834604

Hi nisatu,

It’s quite hard to do that much traveling and also actually spend some time in the Alps. I’m not sure what kind of place you would like to visit. You can visit Geneva or Basel from Paris in one day, but these are not Alpine towns. It would take at least about another two hours to reach the higher peaks. I would suggest to check out the timetable to see your options. Perhaps you can consider to visit Chamonix-Mont-Blanc. That’s in the French Alps, but it should be possible to spend a couple of hours there and return the same day.

There is no cheapest route. With such a tight timeframe, you can best take any train that gets you to your destination most quickly. If possible, spending one night somewhere in Switzerland (e.g. Zermatt, Montreux or Les Diablerets) would give you more options.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to share further thoughts here.

• The thread ‘Getting Alps from paris’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.