Getting back to Interlaken from First Grindelwald

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2017 at 9:56:12 #811471

Hi to everyone,

I am planning an afternoon trip from Interlaken to First on 17th May. The reason to make it afternoon is that I will be coming to Interlaken with car from Luzern afternoon about 14:30-15:00.

But when I look at the SBB link to return from First to Interlaken (since I have to park the car at Interlaken or Grindelwald and get the funicular to First I guess? ) the latest funicular seems to return at 5pm to Interlaken..

Is there an alternative route to back to Interlaken? Or do you have other recommandations to get there and back? ( I can get on to another public transport or return to another location apart from Interlaken by the way )

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    20 April 2017 at 14:34:03 #861854

Hi mertkip,

Correct, the last gondolas from First down to Grindelwald (not to Interlaken) will stop around 17:00 – 17:30, so that’s when you have to leave the top station. You can park your car at the valley station in Grindelwald if you like and get back from Grindelwald to Interlaken by car. Alternatively you can park in Interlaken and catch a train back from Grindelwald to Interlaken. The timetable will provide details about possible connections. Just click on one of the presented options for more details. If you think leaving at 17:00 is too early, you’d better visit First the next day.

• The thread ‘Getting back to Interlaken from First Grindelwald’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.