Berner Oberland Pass at reduced price with STP

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2017 at 19:57:33 #811566

Hi,

I am currently planning a 2nd trip to Switzerland for July/August. Currently, I’m looking at doing both Bernina & Glacier Express before basing around Interlaken or Spiez area for a week or so. I had a look at the BOP Regional Pass and it seems that for travel around the region, it seems to be better a decent deal (e.g. Niesen, Stockhorn, Harder etc. are free vs Swiss Pass 50%), do correct me if I’m wrong.

My question is, to get the discounted rates for the BO Pass, as far as I understand, the rule is to have a Swiss Pass; “a 25% discount applies to the pass price if you have a valid Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card at the time of traveling;”

Both myswissalps and official BOP page by BLS do not mention the Swiss Travel Pass Flex. Does this mean that to get the BOP at reduced price, I have to have a concurrent Swiss Travel Pass (Consecutive)?

Or is it just assumed that the STP Flex is the same as STP (Consecutive), meaning the rule is simply to have a valid STP during the point of purchasing the BOP? If STP Flex is valid to get discounted BOP, does the first and last Flex date have to before & after the BOP duration?

Many thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    27 April 2017 at 13:08:23 #862304

Hi jaywalkra, thanks for joining us!

The Swiss Travel Pass and Swiss Travel Pass Flex are two different products. The discount on the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland can only be obtained with a valid Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card, not with a Swiss Travel Pass Flex. Please find purchase options at myswissalps.com/region alpassberneseoberland/ price and myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/price.

Yes, the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland is certainly a good deal for trips in this area. However, whether it’s worth the additional cost if you already have a valid Swiss Travel Pass for the same period can best be calculated based on your travel plans: myswissalps.com/train/ ticketspasses/practica l/chooserailpass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2017 at 14:38:38 #862305

Hi Annika, thanks for the reply. That means for a reduced BOP, the STP has to be valid concurrently on the same day?

Meaning an 8 day STP valid from say 10th-17th can’t be used to buy a 4 day reduced BOP for 16th-19th but I can buy reduced BOP for 14th-17th – is my understanding correct?

Thank you!

Arno
    15471 posts
    27 April 2017 at 15:01:07 #862306

Hi jaywalkra,

Yes, that’s indeed correct!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2017 at 1:09:48 #862307

Hi mods, thanks for the clarifications so far!

I have more questions. While planning a round day trip on the Bernina Express from Luzern, I noticed on SBB’s timetable that there are regional trains running along the same route after Pontresina (Chur – Samedan – Pontresina – Tirano vs Bernina Express Chur – Tirano). Does this mean that SBB trains ply on the same Bernina route including the track on the road along St Antonio and Le Prese? Meaning STP holder can take SBB train without additional fee/reservation unlike Bernina Express train?

Another question, if I were to buy the Swiss HFC, am I able to buy BOP at reduced price? Or is it only valid for SwissPass HFC (Swiss resident version).

Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2017 at 7:24:20 #862308

Hi Jaywalkra,

Yes you can take a regional Swiss train on the same route as the Bernina Express and no reservations are required – you just don’t get the panoramic train which is fine for some people! 🙂

Yes, you get 50% off the Bernina Express train with a Swiss Half Fare Card, but no discount on reservations (click here to see what areas/routes are covered by the Swiss Half Fare Card).

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2017 at 7:37:42 #862309

Hi Lucas, thanks for the reply!

That’s nice to hear, I wasn’t aware that normal SBB trains run on the same line.

Does the Half Fare Card allow me to buy the Berner Oberland Regional Pass at discounted price?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2017 at 8:14:35 #862310

Yes you get 25% off the price of the Regional Pass – Bernese Oberland (click here) if you have the Swiss Half fare Card or Swiss Travel Pass.

Lucas

Arno
    15471 posts
    2 May 2017 at 19:29:25 #862311

Just as background information: SBB does not operate trains in all of Switzerland. The Bernina Express and local trains on the same line are operated by RhB. Train companies are not relevant when it comes to passes though. The passes cover all trains of all companies.

• The thread ‘Berner Oberland Pass at reduced price with STP’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.