Getting the best out of my limited 2.5 days

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2015 at 16:40:31 #807826

Hi everyone,

My first trip to Switzerland for work. I do have some time for myself at the end of the work however it is just a short 2.5 days, ending my work on the 11th Sept 6pm, and departing on the morning of 14th Sept noon.

I want to maximise my time to see the nature of Switzerland and not just the cities. I would like to know where i should stay for the night of 11th Sept, and how best i should plan my itinerary, whether i should select a base for the 3 nights (11th, 12th and 13th) or i should travel to stay in different parts of Switzerland.

Looking forward to all recommendations!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    26 August 2015 at 12:04:50 #845736

Hi angwoo24, welcome to MySwissAlps!

It’s nice that you get to spend a couple of days exploring Switzerland. Where will you be based when working? And from where will you leave the country? That may determine the advice for regions you could visit. Switzerland is a small country, but traveling times shouldn’t be underestimated.

I’d try to pick just one base, if I were you, as that’s generally more relaxed than moving from one hotel to the other, especially during a short trip. You can start off by looking into a few regions that are often recommended: the Bernese Oberland and the Lake Lucerne region. Both are absolutely beautiful and offer a wide range of scenic activities.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 August 2015 at 0:29:19 #845737

Hi Annika!

great to receive a reply from you.

i will be based in Muri for a week and areas that I will cover after work would most probably be Lucerne or Zurich. But these are just after work activities.

i want to see the alps, so I am considering to base at interlaken. I have read about people staying in muggen or wengen village.

Is interlaken part of Bernese Oberland? Where should I go if I’m staying in Bernese Oberland? After which I have the intention to travel by train to Munich which is about 7-8 hours ride. All suggestions/recommendations are welcomed!

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    27 August 2015 at 6:17:30 #845738

If you want to see the Alps (good idea) the Bernese Oberland is a great pick. Do not stay in Interlaken as it is a touristy town that is not in the mountains. Instead head straight to Wengen and use that as your base to explore the region.

Lots of information on using Wengen as a base in a series of PDFs at http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

Suggest that you look right away at http://www.bahn.de for train routes to Munich from Wengen. I just did a dummy booking and saw fares as inexpensive as 59 Euros. But these SuperSaver fares sell out quickly so get booked as soon as you can. The downside to these fares is you must take the exact trains/times you have booked for. But I think it is worth it for the savings and especially since it sounds like you are on a tight schedule anyway.

And how long will you be in Munich? My most favorite city in the entire world. Just back from our 33rd visit there. May be able to provide you some input there as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 August 2015 at 8:34:34 #845739

Hi Kim! great to hear from you 🙂

Ok i will explore wengen as a choice for base. Thanks for the link.

I will be in swiss for 2 days, and munich for 2 days. heaven had any information on the area. Please provide your inputs!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 August 2015 at 14:34:35 #845740

Hi,

I need help to travel from Wenger to Munich Germany. Any one can provide me the way? which train should i take. Is buying the half fare worth it with any discount? When is the best timing to leave for Munich? Please help thanks!

Arno
    15483 posts
    30 August 2015 at 16:35:24 #845741

Hi angwoo24,

If you click the “traveling times” link in Annika’s post you can find all trains.

Whether it’s worth to buy a Swiss Half Fare Card depends on all your travel plans (the transfer to and from Wengen, and the trips you do from there). Once you have a list of that, you can do the math as explained here.

• The thread ‘Getting the best out of my limited 2.5 days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.