Getting to Zurich from Tirano/Bernina Express

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2011 at 14:25:42 #804647

Hi there,

I was just wondering if you could advise me on a couple of things.

After a week in Italy at Lake Iseo, I’ll be travelling to Tirano. I need to get to Zurich, so am hoping to get the Bernina Express to Chur, and then a train from Chur to Zurich.

I understand there are regional trains as an alternative to the Bernina, but am struggling to work if they would be any better than just getting the Bernina direct to Chur. I understand its the same line, so the scenery is just as good, and I have no problem getting a regional train if it works out cheaper/less hassle.

But, for minimal changes, does the Bernina make the most sense for me en route to Zurich?

I’m on limited time so am not interested in stopping off anywhere overnight along the way (I would if I could!).

Also, in terms of a rail pass, I would be getting the train/s to Zurich, then spending two nights in the city, and then flying home. My hotel in Zurich is a little out of the centre so I would need to be getting the train in and out both days – does the Swiss Flexi Pass work on trams in the city centre? And it cover the Bernina right?

So the Swiss Flexi Pass – 145CFH – for 3 days (with 30% off at the moment)

OR

Roughly, Bernina (Tirano-Chur) – 59CFH

Chur – Zurich train – 35CFH

A 72-hour Zurich card for 40CFH which would cover all the city travel.

They would work at about the same? Or am I forgetting something major?

Thank you for any help, it’s much appreciated!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 August 2011 at 7:48:15 #834046

The Swiss Flexi Pass covers the Bernina and City trams and trains in Zurich. You will have to use a day of your pass for each day you spend in Zurich.
    There a regional trains about every hour from Tirano to St. Moritz. Ride in the front cars which are the new Alegra train sets and our very nice. There are two ways you can go to Chur.
    1, Tirano to St. Moritz and then St.Moritz to Chur (Part of the Glacier Express route)
    2. Tirano to Pontresina and then Pontresina to Samedan (short ride) and then Samedan to Zurich. This may be slightly faster depending on the connections
    Dick

Annika
    7115 posts
    22 August 2011 at 15:29:24 #834047

Hi DawnW! Great that you already made some calculations. Where did you find the CHF 145.00 rate for a 3 day Swiss Flexi Pass including discounts? It’s close to the current rate (about CHF 148.00) for United Kingdom/Ireland residents, so if that’s what you filled out in the upper right corner of the Swiss Flexi Pass page, you’re right. In that case the Swiss Flexi Pass would be a good choice, since there’s little price difference with regular tickets and the Swiss Flexi Pass offers more freedom and flexibility to change or extend your plans.
    The timetable will help you find specifics about the alternatives Dick mentioned (thanks, Dick!).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 August 2011 at 8:33:15 #834048

Hi guys,
    Thank you Dick and Arno for your responses!

Yes the fare I saw was on this site, for 2 Irish residents it’s coming up as €265, which is roughly CHF 300.

But I think I’ve left it too late to get the pass – I’m leaving Ireland next Friday (won’t be arriving in Switzerland until September 9), but don’t want to risk the passes not arriving by next week. And it doesn’t seem to give the option to pick them up at a station? So I think I’ll have to leave it.

Thanks foryour help though 🙂

• The thread ‘Getting to Zurich from Tirano/Bernina Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.