Gimmelwald then hotel before 9:30AM Zurich flight

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2012 at 19:41:29 #805536

I will be flying to Zurich on Sunday Sept 2, arriving at 12:05 PM. I plan to fly back home (to the US) from Zurich on Friday Sept 7 on a flight leaving Zurich at 9:30 AM. In between, I plan to stay in Gimmelwald in the Berner Oberland.
    I will be staying in Gimmelwald the nights of Sept 2 to 5. If I were to stay in Gimmelwald the night of Sept 6 also, it would be hard (probably impossible) for me to get to the Zurich airport on Sept 7 in time to catch my plane at 9:30 AM, because the earliest Schilthornbahn cable car from Gimmelwald to Stechelberg is at about 6 AM. So, where would be a scenic place (or at least a nice place, preferably not too touristy) to get a hotel on the night of Sept 6, somewhere between Gimmelwald and the Zurich airport, that would allow me to get to the Zurich airport on Sept 7 in time to catch my plane at 9:30 AM? I was considering Lauterbrunnen, but I am looking at a timetable on farhplan.sbb.ch and it shows that the earliest train from Lauterbrunnen arrives at the Zurich airport at 8:16 AM. When I get to the airport, I still have to go through security and find the departure gate, so 8:16 AM might not be early enough. Would it be best to get a hotel in Zurich for the night of Sept 6? I don’t really want to stay at a hotel in Zurich. But if that might be the best thing to do, is there a decent place to stay overnight in Zurich (easy transportation to the airport would be good) that is comfortable but not very expensive (less than $125/night)? I can afford something more expensive but prefer not to spend money on a Zurich hotel.
    If instead I drive (rent a car) from the Stechelberg/Lauterbrunnen area to Zurich, would that make it easier to get a hotel somewhere along the way that is nice? Is it even possible to rent a car around the Stechelberg/Lauterbrunnen area just for one day, and leave the car at the airport?
    Also, since I will be visiting the Berner Oberland from Sept 2 to Sept 5, what would be the best travel pass to get? I will probably be traveling on public transportation from Zurich to Stechelberg, probably also taking public transportation from Stechelberg back to Zurich, and definitely taking the cable car from Stechelberg/Schilthornbahn round trip to Gimmelwald (maybe more than once), and taking the train to Kleine Scheidegg, and taking the gondola to Mannlichen, and maybe taking a few other rides in the Berner Oberland.
    Thanks very much for any help you can provide.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    14 August 2012 at 1:49:22 #836937

Hi darum, and welcome!

I would definitely recommend to travel to Zurich the night before. Renting a car is expensive (especially since you’ll have a rail pass anyway) and too much of a hassle in my opinion. Just enjoy the full day in the Bernese Oberland and take a train to Zurich at night. You don’t need to spend much time there. Did you review our pages about Zurich and Zurich Airport? There should be hotels in those lists that suit your needs. A really nice small hotel just outside of Zurich is Landgasthof Leuen. It’s along the small railway between the Zurich main station and viewing point Uetliberg. Rail station Uitikon Waldegg is about 5 minutes on foot. I think it’s a 15 minute ride to Zurich, then switch trains for a 10 minute ride to the airport.

I’ll answer your question about rail passes in your other topic. Please try to ask questions only once as stated in the forum rules. Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2012 at 2:48:50 #836938

I’m going backpacking in Europe this summer too. My friend highly recommends Gimmelwald. It’s way up in the mountains and you have to take a couple different trains. He said there isn’t much to do there but hike and talk with the fellow travellers but that it was very beautiful.

kim11
    Participant
    605 posts
    14 August 2012 at 13:19:53 #836939

Gimmelwald is beautiful but no more so than half a dozen other spots in the region. Depending on how long you are staying and your interests it may or may not be the best pick. It is somewhat tricky to get in and out of, involving some combination of hiking (either up or down) and/or busses, gondolas, trains. There are two inns there, an “honor market” with a few snacks, a school, and a handful of houses. It can also be rather crowded during the day thanks to Rick Steves’ telling everyone to go there. It will likely be more expensive than staying, say, at the Valley Hostel in Lauterbrunnen in the base of the valley. Just some thoughts.

If you want more input on Gimmelwald I recommend you start a separate thread rather than having your topic buried under a different heading

• The thread ‘Gimmelwald then hotel before 9:30AM Zurich flight’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.