Glacier Express

• Koz
    Participant
    14 posts
    27 April 2011 at 19:42:30 #804258

Hi,

We’ll be visiting Switzerland for two weeks in early August and will be travelling from St Moritz on the Glacier Express. I had been planning to travel on ordinary trains on the Glacier Express route as I had read that the older trains usually have windows that can be opened, which I’d prefer so that I can take photos without window reflections. However recently I’ve read that most trains now don’t have windows that can be opened so I wrote to SBB and they replied that most of their trains are now air conditioned and that windows cannot be opened.

While I realize that it is now most unlikely, is it possible that there still could be some trains or carriages that run on the Glacier Express route that have windows that can be opened? I’ll be able to book seats on the Glacier Express for the date we need in about two weeks, when reservations open 90 days out and think we should book straight away since it’s peak holiday season.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    28 April 2011 at 3:47:06 #832695

Hi kozzz.

I know, beautiful scenery, train windows and taking photos are a bad combination. As far as I have seen last year there are no windows that can be opened in the carriages of the Glacier Express. In the past (about 10 years ago) I have traveled on regular trains on the route of the Glacier Express. I used to be able to take photos through small open windows near the entrance doors of the carriages, but I don’t know if this is still possible. (Well this isn’t of much help, I know)

Nevertheless, travelling on the Glacier Express is a great experience

Have a nice stay.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2011 at 12:27:08 #832696

Hi, I came back from Switzerland a week ago and enjoyed a trip on the Glacier Express although I found reflections inhibited any real photographs, and no, there are no opening windows. Later we travelled on a regular train and found it much better for photographing through the windows, which were sparkling clean! Enjoy your trip, I can’t wait for my next one. Tez

Arno
    15483 posts
    3 May 2011 at 12:57:01 #832697

Good tip Tez, thanks!

Koz
    Participant
    14 posts
    3 May 2011 at 17:11:55 #832698

Thanks Tez and Wandermann for your replies. That’s interesting that the windows on regular trains were much better for taking photos through – maybe the reflections are worse on the Glacier Express because of the large domed windows. I know I can travel on normal trains on the Glacier Express route but that I have to change trains several times. I haven’t checked travel times yet to compare with the GE. Glacier Express seat reservations for my date in August go on sale in the next few days so I have to decide soon.

We’ll be doing a lot of train travel in Switzerland – Zurich to St Moritz, then a few days in the Engadin area including travel on the Bernina Express line, then after Zermatt we’ll be travelling to Wengen for 5 nights and then on to Luzern and back to Zurich.

• The thread ‘Glacier Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.