Glacier Express

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 February 2015 at 1:46:27 #806867

I plan to travel on the Glacier Express from Zermatt to St. Moritz either on 27 or 28 July 2015. Is there a need to make a reservation since it is peak season? Also, which stations along the route has luggage lockers that we can stop along the way to visit the places enroute. Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    8 February 2015 at 9:59:18 #841705

Hi chaiseng8,

The Glacier Express needs to be reserved regardless of the season. But since you plan to get off the train along the way, you’d better travel with the regular trains on the same route (explained here). You don’t need seat reservations for these trains.

There are many stations with lockers. This page has more information and links that allow you to check the facilities for a particular station.

Have a wonderful trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 February 2015 at 14:00:49 #841706

Hi Annika,

Thank you for your reply. Is it possible for me to take the Glacier Express, disembark somewhere along the route, then catch a regular train later (which I assume would travel at a faster speed) to another place further front of the Glacier Express route and then rejoin the same Glacier Express train (or a later Glacier Express train) to complete my journey to St. Moritz?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2015 at 6:39:33 #841707

Hi Annika

On reflection, I think my question is probably “stupid”. If I have to make a mandatory reservation for the Glacier Express, it would probably be impossible to go back onto the same train after I disembark somewhere along the route. It is also not possible for me to board another Glacier Express train since I don’t have a reservation on that train. Thanks anyway.

Arno
    15471 posts
    9 February 2015 at 8:50:31 #841708

Hi chaiseng8,

You’re right, you can’t catch up with the same train. In Summer, there are three Glacier Expresses per day, so theoretically you could spend one or two hours somewhere and take the next one, but you need a new reservation which is quite pricey. You might as well just travel by the regular trains on the same route.

Arno

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2015 at 8:53:17 #841709

Thanks Arno.

• The thread ‘Glacier Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.