Which train pass for the Glacier Express?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2016 at 8:49:32 #809108

Hi, I am traveling from Frankfurt airport to Zermatt , going to take cable car to Zermatt, and then take glacier express to Chur, then back to Frankfurt airport. Would you recommend the Swiss Pass or the Swiss Half Fare card? Or eurail? Tks so much

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    5 May 2016 at 14:44:03 #851597

Welcome to MySwissAlps, Kentuckey1!

How long will this trip take? Will you be spending 3 days in Switzerland? If so, I recommend a 3 day Swiss Travel Pass. It will grant free traveling from Basel to Zermatt, from Zermatt to Chur (the Glacier Express route) and from Chur to Basel. You’ll only need additional tickets Frankfurt-Basel and back, and seat reservations for the Glacier Express.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2016 at 14:58:18 #851598

Hi, tks so much for your help. I will be traveling from Frankfurt airport to Zermatt on the first day, staying at Zermatt for 2 nights, would like to visit the Glacier Paradise with the cable car, then take the Glacier express on the 3rd day from Zermatt to Chur, and then straight to frankfurt airport from Chur on the 3rd day and fly out the next morning. Tks so much

Annika
    7103 posts
    5 May 2016 at 16:19:48 #851599

Great, in that case my recommendation applies. Enjoy your trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2016 at 16:41:40 #851600

Tks so much.

So I will need to buy the ticket for the Germany section when I get into Frankfurt Airport? If I buy the train tickets now and I miss the train. can I use the tickets for the next train?

How do i find out the cost?

Tks so much.

Annika
    7103 posts
    5 May 2016 at 17:32:22 #851601

Most long distance trains in Germany require reservations, so I wouldn’t wait until you’re there. Also buying early is often cheaper. If you click to the Price section of the page I gave you, you’ll find a list of sites selling these tickets, so you can find prices there. You’ll also find policies there about how flexible the ticket is. In many cases you’ll just need a new seat reservation if you miss the train, and the actual ticket remains valid. But be sure to check the details of the ticket before you buy.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2016 at 11:00:08 #851602

Hi, tks so much for your help. We are thinking of going to Konstanz, Germany for 2 days , traveling from Frankfurt airport, first before going to Zermatt to continue our original itinerary. Would you recommend the eurail pass plus the Swiss Half Fare card now instead of just the Swiss Pass only? Which combination is more cost efficient

Besides going up to the Matterhorn, is there any interesting sites in Zermatt that we can visit? Tks so much

Tks so much

Arno
    15471 posts
    6 May 2016 at 12:25:38 #851603

Hi Kentuckey1,

Well, basically it’s still just a return trip from Frankfurt to Switzerland, only via Konstanz. But it also depends on whether you’ll be doing local trips in Konstanz that could be covered by the Eurail Select Pass. Note that the Eurail Select Pass does not fully cover the Glacier Express though. Therefor I don’t think it would be the best option, but the only way to tell is to do the math.

Note that a Swiss Pass is very different from a Swiss Travel Pass. You would need the latter.

For things to do in Zermatt, please see myswissalps.com/ zermatt/activities.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2016 at 12:44:30 #851604

Tks so much for your help

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2016 at 5:58:47 #851605

Hi, do most places in Zermatt take credit cards for payment or cash? What about bus or cable car if we buy eurail pass instead of swiss travel pass.

Tks so much

Arno
    15471 posts
    7 May 2016 at 12:17:25 #851606

Hi Kentuckey1,

Debit cards and cash are the main ways to pay, but many places including cable car stations and restaurants accept credit cards. I don’t know about the bus. Everything in Zermatt is at walking distance by the way.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2016 at 13:41:08 #851607

What is the average temperature in Zermatt where we intend to stay for 2 nights in end of May? What about up in the Glacier Paradise, do I need to bring my winter jacket? Tks so much

Arno
    15471 posts
    7 May 2016 at 18:09:52 #851608

It can be freezing at night while more than 20 °C during the day. At the altitude of the Glacier Paradise it will likely be 0 °C or below. Huge fluctuations apply, so anything is possible. A winter jacket won’t be necessary for a regular visit without winter sports. Just use multiple thinner layers as suggested here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2016 at 23:46:59 #851609

Tks so much for your help

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2016 at 12:59:28 #851610

Hi, if I have the eurail pass, does it cover the trip from Konstanz to Zermatt? Is the cable car or cog wheel train included in the eurail pass? If it’s not included, how much is it? Is it worth to buy a Swiss Half card if it’s not included?

I would like to travel on the glacierexpress from Zermatt to Chur, with the eurail pass, is it worthwhile to buy the Swiss Half Fare card if I am also going up to the glacier paradise? Tks so much

Arno
    15471 posts
    12 May 2016 at 13:53:47 #851611

Hi Kentuckey1,

Please see my May 6 post. The “Where it’s valid” section of the Eurail Select Pass page I mentioned provides all details about what’s covered. Be sure to download the map. If one or two trips are not covered an additional Swiss Half Fare Card would not be worth it. But you need to do the math to be sure. See the link in that same post please.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2016 at 15:06:26 #851612

Hi, what is the price for the train up to the glacier paradise? Is it covered by the eurail pass? Tks so much

Arno
    15471 posts
    12 May 2016 at 16:04:58 #851613

Hi Kentuckey1,

Didn’t you download the map or is there something unclear to you? All the details are there. The Glacier Paradise (Klein Matterhorn) is not covered. A link to all prices can be found here at the bottom of the page.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2016 at 16:26:34 #851614

Hi Arno, got it. Tks so much

• The thread ‘Which train pass for the Glacier Express?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.