Glacier Express Confusion

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 January 2011 at 18:04:15 #804108

I have received many wonderful answers on this forum, but am puzzled by Glacier Express bookings.

We have Swiss Saver Flexi Passes to cover our fare on this train. I also made a RAIL EUROPE reservation for 5 first class seats on the Glacier Express 1 April 2011, Zermatt to St. Moritz. I have a certificate ($110 US dollars) confirming the seats. I believed this was necessary in addition to the Swiss Pass.

But to have panoramic seats and meal during the trip, I also have reserved from Rhatische Bahn AG, Reservation #10553949, 5 seats on Glacier Express departure 10AM 1 April (65 CHF) plus five 3-course meals served at our seats (CHF 215).

Have I made duplicate reservations, or are bookings with BOTH Rhatische Bahn AG and Rail Europe necessary? Will it be possible to cancel one if this is a duplicate booking for 10 seats instead of 5?

Thank you for your assistance with this puzzling matter —

M. Madden

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15479 posts
    31 January 2011 at 2:05:23 #832146

Hi M,

The seats indeed need to be booked on top of the Swiss Pass. You only need to book seats once, through one company. Optionally, you can add meals (it can be arranged for on the train, but it seems that you already booked that as well). It looks like one of your seat reservations is duplicate, but I can’t confirm that. You can best check with the Rhätische Bahn.

If possible, please let us know what you found out!

Enjoy the ride!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 February 2011 at 18:05:25 #832147

to Arno, the moderator: Thank you kindly for your helpful answer; this forum is simply great!
    I inadvertently made a duplicate booking for Glacier Express seats, once with Rail Europe (because we needed seat reservations as well as our Swiss Pass) and once with Rhatische Bahn AG (where I thought I was only booking hot lunch) on the Glacier Express. I emailed Rhatische Bahn AG with my booking number, explained the problem and they most graciously cancelled my duplicate booking. I was confused by the need to work with two different companies for seats and meals on the same train.
    Everything is resolved at this time and we look forward our visit. Again, many thanks for helping me fix the problem.

Arno
    15479 posts
    2 February 2011 at 0:36:58 #832148

I’m glad it worked out fine. Thanks for letting us know. Enjoy the ride!

• The thread ‘Glacier Express Confusion’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.