Glacier Express options Interlaken to Zermatt

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2016 at 22:04:46 #809653

Hi

We (2 adults and 2 kids) are travelling from Interlaken west to Zermatt on 31July. I have a swiss travel pass.

Since we do not have time for doing the entire Glacier express route from Zermatt to St Moritz, I was planning to do part of the Glacier express journey while travelling from Interlaken to Zermatt.

Is it possible for me to travel from Interlaken west to Andermatt and board the glacier express from there to Zermatt?

When i look up the online time table on SBB website, it does not give me an option to do the above. It only allows me to travel from Interlaken west to Brig, then travel to Andermatt and come back from Andermatt to Zermatt.

Do you have any suggestion for how i can travel from Interlake west to Zermatt while doing a leg of the journey on the Glacier express

Thanks

Prem

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    13 July 2016 at 9:12:51 #854007

Hi Prem,

The timetable “forces” you to travel to Andermatt via Brig as that’s simply the quickest route, and that’s what’s always displayed by default. This will indeed result in a journey with overlap, as the sections Brig-Andermatt and Andermatt-Brig (by Glacier Express) will be the same.

So if you prefer another route to Andermatt, you’ll need to add via-stations to force the timetable to come up with alternatives. You could make a detour via Lucerne, Flüelen and Göschenen in order to reach Andermatt if that’s what you prefer (Bern-Olten-Göschenen is a somewhat quicker option, but less scenic). In order to find information on this route, select the “Advanced search option” and enter Interlaken West as your departure station and Zermatt as your destination. Next, add Lucerne, Göschenen and Andermatt (in that particular order) as via-stations. You’ll find several connections allowing you to pick up the Glacier Express train in Andermatt at 13:08. It will be a long travel day this way, but if you definitely want to experience a part of the Glacier Express ride and avoid overlap, it’s a doable option.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2016 at 10:25:58 #854008

Annika

Many Thanks for your detailed explanation. This is very useful.

One more question.

Can i travel with luggage on the Glacier express. I will possibly have 1-2 large bags and 1-2 small bags. I know this is a panoramic train and so wanted to check if there is place to load luggage?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2016 at 10:48:25 #854009

Annika

Apologies for one more question

When i checked the connections you had recommended most of them get me into Andermatt only in time to catch the 15.08 Glacier express from Andermatt. Do you think this will be fine or should i try to leave earlier to catch the 13.08 GEX from Andermatt? The latter involves leaving early and also has a more changes (4-5 connections) which will be an effort with luggage and kids and so if the 15.08 GEX will be just as scenic etc I would probably prefer that. Would like to have your recommendation.

Thanks

ssd1966
    Participant
    12 posts
    13 July 2016 at 14:34:38 #854010

You can take luggage but there is not lots of space. When I was there few weeks ago most of my carriage was an organised tour , their luggage was on a coach so only about 1o people had luggage and it looked busy

Arno
    15484 posts
    13 July 2016 at 14:43:41 #854011

Indeed, luggage can be taken along, but you won’t be able to store it all near your seats. There are luggage racks, so be sure to lock your suitcases and lock them to the rack. You can also have your luggage transported for you. That’s more relaxed: myswissalps.com/ train/practical/ luggage.

The departure time of the train does not matter. Just take any connection convenient to you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2016 at 17:58:58 #854012

Arno

Many thanks. this is very useful. The luggage transportation service is something i would surely like to use.

1. Is there is a addtional cost for this?

2. Would you be able to assist with whether I can hand in luggage at Interlaken West in the morning and collected from Zermatt in the evening.

3. Also noticed that there is baggage collection service if i am flying on Swiss air (which I am). Do i get in touch with the Airline for this service? Would you be able to assist with a number I could call on? Is there an extra charge for this service?

Thanks again for all the responses you are giving on this website…… you guys are doing a great job!!!

Arno
    15484 posts
    13 July 2016 at 18:18:30 #854013

Hi Prem,

Please see the links under “More on other websites”. You’ll find all details there. The price starts at CHF 12 per item.

I’m glad you find us useful! Thanks for mentioning that here!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 July 2016 at 21:42:32 #854014

Hi annika

As per your advice I have going to travel from Interlaken west to Zermatt via Lucerne, Göschenen and Andermatt so that i can do a portion of my journey on the Glacier express. I am booked on the 15:08 Glacier express from Andermatt. However I just noticed that the following announcement appears on the online timetable on the route from Interlaken west to Zermatt via the above locations

Travel advice: Arth-Goldau – Bellinzona
    Dear Customer

Due to numerous construction works at the Gotthard-Route the service is partially restricted. Therefor trains may be delayed and connecting services could be missed. If it’s possible, please use direct services ore allow more time for change.
    We apologize for any inconveniences and thank you for your understanding.

UNQUOTE

I was planning to take the 10:35 am IC 1066 from Interlaken west. with all the connections this is scheduled to get me into Anderamatt only by 15:04 i.e. it gives me only 4 mins to change trains and get into the glacier express. Does the above announcement mean that my connecting trains could get delayed so that i can’t reach Andermatt on time? So should i looking to take an earlier train from Interlaken west? there is a 10:05 departure from interlaken west (ICE278). Its just that this options has 4 changes before Andermatt while the 10:35 has only 2 changes so i would prefer to take the 10:35 am from interlaken. Though i don’t want to run the risk of missing the glacier express also!! What would you recommend?

Thanks

Arno
    15484 posts
    23 July 2016 at 14:53:28 #854015

Hi Prem,

Normally 4 minutes would be enough, but with such an announcement it’s pretty risky. I’d recommend to take an earlier train.

• The thread ‘Glacier Express options Interlaken to Zermatt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.