Glacier Express half fare ticket vs reservation

• smcintosh99
    Participant
    2 posts
    12 August 2017 at 8:02:02 #812931

I had planned to buy a three day Swiss pass for my Swiss travels in September. As this was my intention I made a reservation only for the Glacier express. I now realise that a half fare card is actually a better option. My problem is that the Glacier express is now full for my date, and even if it weren’t the web site doesn’t allow a ticket to be bought on the basis that you are already holding a reservation.

I read somewhere that I am still able to buy a half fare ticket with my half fare card in Switzerland at any station, to go along with the confirmed seat reservation that I already hold. Is this correct? Or is their another solution

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 August 2017 at 10:34:05 #868237

Welcome to MySwissAlps Smcintosh99!

If you have a reservation you can hold on to that. Which ticket or pass you use along with that reservation is up to you, and you can still change your mind. The Swiss Half Fare Card can printed at home (see here). The discounted ticket can indeed be purchased at any station, although I’d recommend a staffed station during opening hours to be sure you will get a ticket for the correct route. Or you can buy that online too: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/switzerland halffare/price (buy a ticket for the direct train with zero changes, again to be sure you buy it for the correct route).

• The thread ‘Glacier Express half fare ticket vs reservation’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.