Glacier Express – Upgrade from 2nd Class Swisspass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2011 at 15:28:09 #804168

Hi,
    I hold second class Swiss pass and would like to travel in First class coach of Glacier express. what is the supplement charge I have to pay for this travel and what is the seat reservation charge for first class on April 09 2011.

To whom I need to contact for this payment and upgrade.

What is the charge for the child who will be travelling in Family pass.

Regards
    Saravanan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    18 March 2011 at 10:32:26 #832335

Hello Saravanan! You’ll have to buy a so-called upgrade ticket for your first class trip in the Glacier Express. This can be done at the railway station before boarding the train. When asked for in the train, simply show your 2nd class Swiss pass and the upgrade ticket. Which amount has to be paid, depends on the part of the route that you’ll be travelling. Please refer to the overview of all Glacier Express fares (including reservation fees) in order to calculate the difference between the 1st and 2nd class fares for the trip you have in mind. A 50% discount for this upgrade ticket applies to the child travelling along with the STS Family Pass.

All you have to do now is arrange for your seat reservations online and in advance. Please get to our seat reservation page and click ‘Glacier Express’ under the header ‘Other ways to arrange for seat reservation’. You’ll be redirected to the local railway company processing the reservations. You should indicate that you need seat reservations only, without further tickets (as your Swiss Pass + the upgrade ticket you’ll be buying at the spot are your valid tickets for this trip).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2011 at 10:53:15 #832336

Hi Annika,
    Thanks for the reply. Quick clarification… The difference in fare between 1st and 2nd class for Zermatt- Tiefencastle costs 78 CHF(means 2nd class is 118 and first class as 196). For the child, he is less than 5 years, do I need to buy ticket. I will be having family pass which I got along with my 2nd class swiss pass. If I have to buy upgrade ticket, how much it would cost (2nd class fare is 59chf, first class fare is 98chf).
    During the seat reservation, hope I have to mention as First class seat reservation. Is that correct?
    Regards
    Saravanan

Annika
    7104 posts
    20 March 2011 at 15:28:43 #832337

Hello Saravan! Children under 5 travel along for free, whether it’s in first or second class. So you don’t have to buy your child under 5 an upgrade ticket. You do have to make a seat reservation though (supposed you want him to have his own seat in the Glacier Express). Our FAQ on rail passes and train tickets provide more information on discounts and prices for children under 6.

Yes, you can indicate that you want 1st class coaches when making your Glacier Express seat reservations.

• The thread ‘Glacier Express – Upgrade from 2nd Class Swisspass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.