Eurail Global Pass for visiting Jungfraujoch?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2017 at 0:55:42 #812568

I’m pretty confused about the rail pass systems in general, but it seems that some of the mountain top rail passes aren’t covered with the global (or other) rail passes. Would anyone happen to know (I’ve researched it, but am still confused). It states that the Global Pass will allow you to travel all participating trains in Switzerland including SBB/CFF/FFS, minus the reservation fees. Has anyone used a rail pass to travel to Jungfraujoch or Matterhorn?

Thanks for your help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 July 2017 at 5:41:18 #866498

Hi JSRenee and welcome to MySwissAlps

You are correct – not all trains, cable cars etc are covered.

The map at myswissalps-doc.r.worldssl.net/doc s/default-source/rail-network-maps/swisstravelsystem .pdf?sfvrsn=34 shows you where the Swiss Travel Pass (and by extension the Eurail Global Pass I think) is valid.

Note that dotted lines means that with a Pass you get 50% discount on the fares (eg Gornergrat at Matterhorn). For Jungfraujoch and other routes a with a ① note you only get 25% discount.

For more details see http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity which has more information on Jungfraujoch and others.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2017 at 9:05:48 #866499

Hi JSRenee,

The Eurail Global Pass does not give the same benefits of the Swiss Travel Pass for most of Switzerland but they are the same 25% discount to Jungfraujoch (except it is 25% from Interlaken and the Swiss Travel Pass is 25% from Wengen/Grindelwald while everything up to that point is free).

Have a look at our web page about the Eurail Global Pass.It explains costs and how to buy it, as well as where it is valid in Switzerland (open the PDF map).

If you are doing other trips in Switzerland as well I would look at the Swiss Travel Pass as it covers more routes and offers the same or better discounts throughout the country. For example, you can use the Eurail Global Pass for travel to Zermatt, but it offers no discounts on trips to Klein Matterhorn or the Gornergrat from Zermatt. These trips get you great views of the Matterhorn as you can’t actually visit the Matterhorn itself). The Swiss Travel Pass gets you 50% off to both destinations.

Regards,
    Lucas

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 July 2017 at 11:03:16 #866500

Hi Lucas,

I guess my “by extension theory” was optimistic. Thanks for correcting my assumption. But from the validity map legend what exactly are we to deduce from “Please note that only a selection of the available railway lines is shown on this map”? Seems a bit vague.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2017 at 13:11:44 #866501

Yes, the map for Eurail is unfortunately a bit vague! 🙁 They just can’t fit in all the routes on one map…

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2017 at 23:09:24 #866502

Hi rockoyster,

>> But from the validity map legend what exactly are we to deduce from “Please note that only a selection of the available railway lines is shown on this map”? Seems a bit vague.

Personally I prefer the SBB version of the Eurail validity map. I think it makes it much easier to compare what is covered by each pass.

http://www.sbb.ch/content/dam /infrastruktur/trafima ge/karten/karte-geltungsbereich-InterRail-EuRail.pdf

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 July 2017 at 23:36:50 #866503

Thanks Alpenrose. That is so much clearer.

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 July 2017 at 15:56:57 #866504

Hi all,

The Eurail map referred to earlier has a detailed map of Switzerland on the right side of the first page. If you zoom in a bit you’ll find all details there. However, I like the SBB version shared by Alpenrose too. I added that map to the 3rd page of the map document so we have all details in one place.

• The thread ‘Eurail Global Pass for visiting Jungfraujoch?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.