Golden Pass with Swiss Travel Pass Flex

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2017 at 6:29:18 #810940

I understand that I can use the Swiss Travel Pass Flex from Lucerne to Montreux round trip for free. Can I just hop onto a Golden Pass train at Lucerne station without making any reservations?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2017 at 8:34:52 #859525

Hi Macymok and welcome to MySwissAlps,

You can indeed use the Swiss Travel Pass Flex for that route (it covers virtually all trains in Switzerland).
    You do not need a reservation for the Golden Pass route – I would recommend it for this train though – it can be quite busy in the summer season especially between Zweisimmen and Montreux.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 March 2017 at 1:38:11 #859526

Thank you Lucas.

We will be in Switzerland from mid April to end April. Is that a busy season?

Where can I find the train schedules for the Golden Pass and the Glacier Express, and how do I make a reservation online?

If I want to go on Glacier Express from Interlaken and then back to Interlaken, how long will the round trip take?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 March 2017 at 8:30:38 #859527

April wouldn’t be particularly busy no – but I always recommend reservations on panoramic trains. 🙂

Reservations can me made here, and schedules can be searched for here. The Glacier Express train is listed as GEX in the scheduled options and the Golden Pass is ‘Golden Pass Panoramic’ or ‘MOB panoramic’.

The Glacier Express runs from Chur to Zermatt.
    If you want to do the entire Glacier Express route then Interlaken to Chur is about 3.5 hours, then the Glacier Express to Zermatt is about 5-6 hours, followed by Zermatt back to Interlaken at 2.5 hours – If you want to do this then you often have to overnight in Chur as the Glacier Express departs at 08:30 or 10:30 usually (depending on the date).

A quicker option is Interlaken to Visp (1 hour) and the the Glacier Express to Zermatt (1 hour) but as you see you are not doing a lot of the Glacier Express route.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 March 2017 at 13:29:16 #859528

Thank you Lucas for the helpful suggestion and information.

Should I change my plans after making a seat reservation, do I need to cancel that reservation and is there any charges (penalty) for changing the date of travel?

Good Friday falls on 14 April. Is the Morges Tulip Festival on Lake Geneva opened on Good Friday?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 March 2017 at 17:49:05 #859529

Hi Macymok,

Seat reservations are not refundable. If you want to change you can cancel and re-book the reservation.

Tough call on the Morges Tulip Festival being open on Good Friday! Usually everything is closed in this country on big holidays. It may be best to email Morges Tourism and ask.

Regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2017 at 7:05:54 #859530

Hi Lucas,

If I have a Swiss Travel Pass Flex, is there anywhere in the link that you have given me previously (shop.glacierexpress.ch /gex_en) that will allow me to indicate that I’m making a seat reservation using this travel pass?

When you said seat reservation is not refundable, does it mean that to make a seat reservation, I have to pay, even though I have bought a travel pass?

Is Easter Sunday celebrated in Switzerland and are all attractions, like cable cars to say, the Swiss Alps closed as well?

Regards

Macymok

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2017 at 8:22:50 #859531

Hi Macymok,

Reservations are an extra cost yes. They are only needed for the Panoramic trains like the Glacier Express. You can make reservations here.

No, the trains and cable cars will not close for holidays – not to worry about that. Towns will be very quiet though except at train stations.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2017 at 9:20:08 #859532

Hi Lucas,

Can I purchase the Swiss Travel Pass Flex at the train station at Zurich airport?

Regards

Macymok

Arno
    15483 posts
    25 March 2017 at 11:57:01 #859533

Hi Macymok,

Yes, you can. You can buy it online or at staffed train stations in Switzerland, including the one at the airport (see here for all options). However, it is more convenient and cheaper to buy it online. That way you don’t have to queue for a ticket office, so you can board the first available train straight away. This particular pass can’t be printed at home yet, but if you order through http://www.happyrail.com/en/p ass/europe/switzerland /swiss-travel-pass-flex it will be shipped to you for free.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2017 at 13:33:49 #859534

Hi Arno,

May I know if I were to purchase the Swiss Travel Pass for 15 consecutive days from the train station at Zurich airport, how much would it cost for 2 adults?

Regards

Mackmok

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2017 at 13:55:30 #859535

Hi Mackmok,

The prices for buying the Swiss Travel Pass are listed here (the last option shows the costs for buying in person) – it is often the same as buying online (except for changes in exchange rates or 3rd party promotions that are sometimes available online). But in this case HappyRail might be interesting for you too as their prices are about € 10 per person lower: http://www.happyrail.com/en/p ass/europe/switzerland /swiss-travel-pass-consecutive. They do charge a credit card fee on top of the pass price, but even then you’ll probably save.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2017 at 2:44:38 #859536

Thank you Lucas!

• The thread ‘Golden Pass with Swiss Travel Pass Flex’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.